Author Topic: Something temporary for my dorm room  (Read 8367 times)

Eric W

Something temporary for my dorm room
« on: September 19, 2005, 05:02:03 PM »
I'm not sure if this is possible, but we're probably willing to throw about $100 (maybe more) at the problem if it can be solved:

Last week, I moved into a new dorm at college.  We don't have parties in our room, and we don't listen to loud music, but we sometimes go to sleep around 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning, as is usual for college students.  After a couple days in the room, I thought that it was well-soundproofed, since I can hear almost nothing in the room.  The girls directly above us had a huge party, and we could just barely make out the thumps of the music.  Other than that, I don't think my roommates or I have heard a single thing from another room.

It's a very normal college dorm building, except that there are two 30-year-olds who live directly under my room, in the "Community Director" apartment (I have no idea why they would want to live in a college dorm).  They like to go to sleep at 10:00 PM every night, and apparently, they can hear every single thing in my room louder than we can.  Last night, one of us was sleeping in the room while the other guy and I were on our computers and listening to music quietly, when the guy from downstairs came up and complained that it was almost midnight, and it sounded like we were jumping around.

I have a feeling this is going to get much worse over the course of the year.  Is there anything we can do, within the normal limits of what we can do with a college dorm, to help with soundproofing the floor?  This means everything has to be above the carpet, but we don't care about aesthetics at all.

Is it possible, or should we buy the people downstairs some earmuffs?  Thanks for the help.

supersoundproofing

Re: Something temporary for my dorm room
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:27:59 PM »
Yes, you can reduce sound transfer through the floor by laying down MLV with closed cell backing.  http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm  The entire floor must be covered and no gaps!  It's durable enough to walk on, so just lay it down and enjoy!  (About $1.50 sq ft).

and headsets can work well and are cheap!  http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/ear_muffs.htm

BJ Nash

Siggie

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:12:30 PM »
I have a similar question (so I didn't create a whole new thread).
I live in an college apartment with 7 others. The girls who live on my hall have always been loud, but now that I'm living with them it's become a problem. Asking politely for quiet doesn't seem to be an option, are there any affordable ways to soundproof my room from outside noise? Could theoretically use one of those foam mattress pads to soften the racket?
Thanks,
S.

Mika M Selm

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 02:09:40 PM »
I would also be VERY interesting in something I could put up to block the sound. I only need to cover one wall, because that is where all the noise is coming from. But, just like everyone else, It has to be temporary, and cannot leave marks on the walls.