Author Topic: Jet aircraft noise in a rental apartment  (Read 5567 times)

jeffarussell

Jet aircraft noise in a rental apartment
« on: March 22, 2006, 05:36:44 AM »
Hello,

I recently moved into a two-story rental near the takeoff path for San Diego International Airport. The noise is almost unbearable. My bedroom is on the second story and the jet noise comes mostly through the windows and may also be coming through the walls. Is there anything I can do short of moving? The walls are plaster and I have double-paned windows. Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Jet aircraft noise in a rental apartment
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 05:49:52 AM »
Plug your ears and yell really loud as the plane flies over.

Not much advice on this one.  The jet noise is very low frequency and it's coming in through the windows mostly, but also the walls, doors and ceiling.  It's probably even vibrating the ground and foundation a bit as well.  Don't put more money in the landlord's pocket by trying to fix the problem - it would cost thousands that you'd never get back.  If he hasn't fixed the problem by now, he never will.  Moving is the answer.  

P.S.: did you get a good deal on rent since it is so noisy?

supersoundproofing

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 10:33:08 PM »
Yes, plug your ears with earplugs and cover them with earmuffs.  See
http://http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/ear_muffs.htm

BJ Nash

noisetwentyone

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 08:49:36 PM »
Jeff,

Actually there is something you can do about your problem. Most airports, San Diego County included, offers noise abatement programs to help residents who live within a 65+ decibel contour map around the airport. Here is a link to the appropriate page which explains the program:

http://www.quieterhome.org/

I wouldn't suggest ear protection. What if your smoke alarm goes off?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 02:39:36 AM »
Look at the category.  He's renting - it's not his property.  And he probably doesn't care enough about it to go to that much trouble.

noisetwentyone

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »
You're possibly right. Still, there is a search option on this forum and perhaps there are others who are looking for similar noise reduction solutions.

skip

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 05:06:12 PM »
All of your responses are very interesting and have merit. The U.S. government has spent millions of tax payers dollars over the years to research sound abatement for home dwellers located in aiprport areas.

They have spent as much as $ 250,000.00 per test house. Their results have been negative. There are no known effrective, reasonably priced sound reducing methods available to those who live in jet noise areas.

Where jets take off and land there will be significant sound problems.

anything