Author Topic: Soundproofing An Apt Door  (Read 10489 times)

Medhatbear

Soundproofing An Apt Door
« on: April 16, 2006, 10:46:36 PM »
I have recently moved into a Bachelor apartment but the door of the apartment is right next to the building's elevators.

Unfortunately, I hear the noise of people talking or being close to my apartment door when waiting for the elevator or getting on or off the elevator.

Is there a cheap and easy way to decrease the sounds coming through this door?  I have to admit I am not very astute when it comes to construction so any simple solution would be greatly appreciated.

I thank all and appreciate any advice or suggestions

Brien

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing An Apt Door
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 02:46:57 AM »
Check out the page for doors on this site:

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/soundproofing_doors.htm

You're not gonna get rid of all the noise, but you can get 10-15 dB less (depending on door type) by applying seals to the door.

agtrojan

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 11:35:13 PM »
For the benefit of those in similar situations, you may find that installing 1/8" Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) barrier to the interior of the door will reduce the noise.

Let's assume the door is no wider than 48" and no taller than 6' 8" (standard door height).  A 7' piece of MLV that is 4' wide is needed.  Cut the MLV to the width of the door.  Buy a grommet kit, from your local Home Depot, and place 3 grommets across the top of the MLV at least 1" from the top edge.  The two outer grommets should be no more than 3" from the edge and the third one should be centered on the door.  Install 3/4" screws on the door to support the MLV from the grommets.  Trim the bottom of the MLV at the surface of the floor to complete the installation.

This is a simple, do-it-yourself solution that you can take with you when  you move.

Share your results for others to read.

Sparky_The_Hut

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 08:03:12 AM »
The front door of my apartment was pretty bad. Bad sound leakage and very drafty. I just installed one of Super Soundproofing's custom-made door sweeps and lined the door frame with the Super Soundproofing 1/8" vinyl nitrile tape. With tax and shipping, this was roughly $50 and worth every penny. It has made a very noticeable difference in the sound leakage coming through the front door and I can't feel any draft coming through the door now. Over time, I'm sure I'll make up that $50 in savings on my utility bills. Good stuff.

Sparky