Author Topic: neighbor noise  (Read 8003 times)

vlado

neighbor noise
« on: April 19, 2006, 01:42:25 PM »
Hi,
Sounds arising from the apartment above, both voices and footfalls, are heard quite clearly in one of the rooms of my apartment.  My ceiling height is 2.42 meters.  The building walls are concrete; the floor is tile over concrete.  The room dimensions are approximately 3x4 meters.  

I would appreciate your recommendation as to the most appropriate method of insulation.
Thanks
Vladimir

johnbergstromslc

Re: neighbor noise
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 03:18:47 AM »
Insulation is beneficial in the cavity, but unfortunately won't do much.  Since you're planning on tearing off the old stuff anyway, mount the new ceiling drywall (preferably 2 layers of 5/8") on resilient channels to have any chance of getting rid of the noise problem.  And remember to do some good sealing.

vlado

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 11:28:33 AM »
Thank you,
And what about the Mass loaded vilil?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 10:02:05 PM »
Skip it.

Just add the second layer of drywall and that's about the best you're gonna do without some major demo.

ANDY

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 03:46:48 PM »
vlado , just wanted to offer another solution to your problem, since your tearing out your old ceiling i would reccomend just installing one layer of quietrock drywall, or for better low freq. noises use a isoloation clip with hat channel and 1 layer of quietrock. this is a more dependable solution to your problem with no risk of failure, the resiliant channel has a 90% failure rate.Any questions or how to get the quiet rock please email or call.
                                                    Thanks
                                                        Andy

P&A supply
Andy Ackerman
1-800-211-4728
andyackerman@pasupplies.com

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 10:40:17 PM »
Yeah, Andy:

Why don't you tell him how much Quietrock costs?  

Resilient channel has a 90% failure rate?  Fu**ing nonsense!

ANDY

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 12:50:31 PM »
 I WOULD BE HAPPY TO GO OVER PRICING FOR QUIET ROCK , AND COMPARE COSTS OF BOTH, AND ALL THE CONTRIBUTING FACTORS , SUCH AS LABOR TO INSTALL.I CAN ALSO GO OVER ALL THE PROVEN REASONS RC CHANNEL HAS A 90% FAILURE RATE . I HAVE PROJECTS IN PROGRESS CURRENTLY THAT ARE TEARING DOWN 2 LAYERS OF 5/8" DRYWALL AND THE RC CHANNEL BECAUSE THE CEILING ASSY FAILED . I DO HAVE ALL THE TEST DATA FOM A ACOUSTICAL ENGINER THAT HAS TESTED THESE JOBS BEFORE AND AFTER REMEDIATION TO SUPPORT THIS.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL WITH ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS

ANDY ACKERMAN
P&A SUPPLIES
1-800-211-4728
ANDYACKERMAN@PASUPPLIES.COM

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 12:34:46 AM »
"Labor to install" is not a factor; almost all the people in this forum are going to do the work themselves, effectively bringing the labor cost to ZERO.  

If RC/Hat channel has a 90% failure rate, why is it in stock down at my local home center (and why have they not even heard of Quietrock down at Home Depot)?  Why are MILLIONS of feet of the stuff being made every year?  Because it's proven, inexpensive and with competent installation it works well.  

I think Constrained Layer Damping is useful in soundproofing and I have recommended Green Glue to a lot of people.  But I will NEVER recommend Quietrock.  Too expensive, too many potential costly errors.  Better to apply the glue yourself and have some control over the process.  If you screw up, you're only out $8-10 for another sheet of drywall, instead of a hundred (or more) for a Quietrock sheet.  

I can put another layer of 5/8" over the existing drywall using Green Glue for a total cost of $40 per sheet.  If I skimp on the G.G., I can bring it in for $25.  When Quietrock can bring the price down (on the QR-530 - 5/8") to about that level (~$1/sq.ft.) then I will consider it.  

But I won't hold my breath.

So if you have the balls to do it, POST your prices for Quietrock.  

ANDY

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 01:35:42 PM »
I FEEL SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE ACTUALLY TAKEN YOUR AVDICE AND WASTED THERE HARD EARNED MONEY AND TIME. BECAUSE YOU, AND THE PEOPLE AT YOUR LOCAL HOME CENTER ARE IDIOTS.YOU NEED TO STOP THINKING YOUR SO SMART AND DO A LITTLE RESEARCH,YOU MAY REALIZE YOU DONT KNOW AS MUCH AS YOU THOUGHT.

ANDY

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 09:28:06 PM »
Whatever, Andy.

Yeah, you're right.  You're not a single-minded, self serving huckster, you're here to save these people from me.  I am the bad guy, clearly.

I'm sure that they will all 'see the light' and the money will start flowing into your pocket real soon........

You told me to "do a little research" and that I'm "not as smart as I think" I am.  I have never claimed to know it all, but at least I don't spout out "Quietrock, Quietrock, Quietrock" like some kind of retarded parrot.

The thing that your greed is blinding you to is that these people are not building high-end, commercial recording studios (where Quietrock would be appropriate), they're just trying to quiet their houses and offices a bit.   And they're not going to spend five thousand bucks per room to do it.  

I'd say give it up.  All of the upscale markets that Quietrock services are already taken.  

ANDY

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 12:15:38 PM »
NO, YOU JUST SPOUT OUT RC CHANNEL AND 2 LAYERS OF DRYWALL.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 01:41:42 AM »
NO, YOU JUST SPOUT OUT RC CHANNEL AND 2 LAYERS OF DRYWALL.

Wrong.  Actually, I think of resilient channel as a last resort, on walls at least.  I prefer to convert the wall into a staggered stud wall, so a person down the road can screw into a solid stud (for cabinets, bookshelves, hanging heavy things, etc.)  

joel

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 06:25:33 PM »
Hello vlado,

Wow!  The verbal tit-for-tat between J.B. and the quietrock salesman is amusing, eh.  But what about a workable solution for your problem?

Here's an idea that has been highly successful.  Since you plan to tear off the existing drywall, do the following: Put bonded cotton insulation up between the joists (this material absorbs and blocks sound in a contained space).  Staple a layer of MLV directly to the bottom of the joists (be sure to tape MLV seams with metal tape and caulk perimeter at walls).  Add Isolation tape over MLV at joists (this is your decoupler).  Then screw in 5/8" dry wall.  Finish field of drywall in normal manner.  Be sure to leave a 1/4" gap where new dry wall meets existing walls and fill gap with acoustic caulk (otherwise your new ceiling will turn into a tight drumtop and be louder than before).  By the numbers, this should give you a 75 STC assembly and mitigate footfall.

Joel

anything