Author Topic: blocking out TRAIN or TRAFFIC noise  (Read 4318 times)


  • Guest
blocking out TRAIN or TRAFFIC noise
« on: April 25, 2006, 02:50:38 AM »
I just moved into a co-op apartment, which has the Long Island Railroad going by my living room and bedroom windows. I'm on the 6th floor, so it's not horrible, and the trains go by pretty fast (10 seconds or so), but I would love to reduce the noise level if possible.

I will need permission from the management board to do anything drastic, so keeping it simple would work best. I've read about acoustical courtains. That sound pretty easy; do they work? Can I do something to my windows besides getting them replaced? Or the walls facing the railroad?

Perhaps ideas on blocking out traffic noise would work, too.



  • Guest
Re: blocking out TRAIN or TRAFFIC noise
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 03:49:34 AM »
Unlikely anything you're thinking of will work.  Replacing the windows and/or getting a secondary set installed will help a bit, but you know what they say in real estate: location, location, location...  Living next to a railroad line, well, there's way too much sound energy and vibration for you to dampen with much less than a concrete shell of a house.  

I remember a remodeling job I did right next to a rail line.  The trains only came by at 10 mph maximum but it shook the whole da*n house.  Sounded like the end of the world...      

It may not be hopeless, though.  I don't think some basic soundproofing would qualify as a 'drastic' change.  Take it up with management and see what they say; if you know your options, you can then return here and get some more useful advice.  

If the real problem is that you want a simple, painless solution without spending any money or going to any trouble, well, dream on.....  Peace and quiet = $$$    



  • Guest
Re: blocking out TRAIN or TRAFFIC noise
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 11:40:34 PM »
Thankfully the vibration is minimal (I'm on the 6th floor) and doesn't bother me. It's the noise I'd like to cut down, but do I still need to address the vibration?

If I can't do much myself, where do I start looking for a contractor? What kind do I look for?

Thanks again!