Author Topic: Soundproofing vs. Noisy Neighbor  (Read 3368 times)

Neverhouse

Soundproofing vs. Noisy Neighbor
« on: April 25, 2006, 04:48:38 PM »
I know I’m beating a dead horse here, but it’s better than beating my neighbor to death.

Seriously, it’s not that bad, but like many people, I too live next to “loud outdoor music guy.”

I’m planning to erect a privacy fence for visual reasons, and hopefully I can add some sound-deadening qualities. From reading other posts, it looks like I would need at least 10-12 feet in height to be acoustically effective. Realistically, I’m shooting for 8 feet.

That said, would my material choice even make a difference (e.g., pressure-treated wood vs. vinyl)? Since we’re in a rural setting, aesthetics aren’t a priority – I’m looking for functionality.

If building material choice is irrelevant, is there a sound-deadening product that could be added to the backside of the fence? Or will the 8-foot height render it ineffective?

I was also wondering about adding sound-deadening material to our house. Would something like the matting Super Soundproofing sells be effective if we were to, say, place it behind the siding on our house? Or are such materials only useful in a full soundproofing system that would require more invasive installation?

joel

Re: Soundproofing vs. Noisy Neighbor
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 05:56:07 PM »
Hi Neverhouse,

For an exterior noise control fence I would recommend a cement block (filled with concrete) wall of 8' height.  A filled cement block wall wil give you a 50 STC barrier at least.  Wood or vinyl are poor choices for noise control (wood transmits sound).

Using MLV under your siding is an effective way to block sound from getting into your house walls.  It can be stapled directly to the studs or OSB normally used behind siding.  The SSP Mat (closed cell vinyl nitrile acoustic foam) is good for dampening.  It is normally used to absorb and block  sound in a contained space (like a generator enclosure) but has been used behind metal siding to quiet it down.  The MLV would be your best bet for the noise you describe in your inquiry.

Joel