Author Topic: SOUNDPROOFING FLOOR BELOW UPRIGHT PIANO IN APT  (Read 5735 times)

goddard

SOUNDPROOFING FLOOR BELOW UPRIGHT PIANO IN APT
« on: April 27, 2006, 03:05:20 PM »
I have just moved into a new apt in the East Village, NYC, the apt has hardwood floors. It is a rental and I cannot do anything below the floor. What I need to do is put something under the piano to reduce the noise transmission to the floor below and to the neighbours.  

My idea so far is to put the piano on acrylic caster cups. Then place Acoustic deadening foam (MVL?) underneath the piano itself. Thus reducing the vibration transfer to the downstairs and stopping the hardwood floor from being a soundbaord in itself.  Will this help?

I would also have the matting under my feet so my toe tapping won't be a problem.

Obviously the most important thing is being considerate and playing at reasonable hours of the day.

Rocky143

Re: SOUNDPROOFING FLOOR BELOW UPRIGHT PIANO IN APT
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:39:09 AM »
Check with a soundproofing store.  They make gizmos like casters that dampen sound.  If you can't get ones suitable for your piano, you can build a wooden platform just big enough for your piano, and put the platform on sound isolating "casters."

You will also have trouble with the wall acting as an "antenna" to pick up the sounds and transmit them elsewhere.  If you can, position the piano so your back is to the wall and the soundboard faces toward the middle  of the room.  Also, try draping heavy blankets over the back of the piano.

You might buy a few squares or a sheet of soundproofing material (not acoustic ceiling tiles) and attach them to a board that you then attach to the back of the piano and lay on top of it.

skip

Re: SOUNDPROOFING FLOOR BELOW UPRIGHT PIANO IN APT
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 04:13:27 PM »
Goddard:

We have several friends with similar situation as  to yours. The best solution we have seen thus far is that of using anti vibration pads on the bottom of the piano legs. In any case results are not perfect. Piano's in rental apartments can present various sound problems based on the way the building was built.

anything