Author Topic: impact noise  (Read 3200 times)

karens

impact noise
« on: April 28, 2006, 01:03:09 PM »
Hi, I have a family of 3 (sometimes 4) and 2 big cats living in 870 sq ft above me, and they are always moving around.  Airborne noise level is ok, but impact noise is horrendous.  I hear every step, every thud of cabinets, closets, etc.  My ceilings are only 7.5" high so losing a few inches to put in a false ceiling really isn't possible.  I've talked with them and they said that they would consider letting me pay for remedying the problem from their condo (i.e. fixing the flooring).   It's wood frame construction, with a wood subfloor and hardwood floors.  Building is 40 years old.  They have thin carpet and padding on top of the hardwood.  

They have asked me to gather information and bring it to them.  I'd really appreciate your thoughts about what are the best solutions for this situation.  Also, I know there are a lot of flooring people in the Boston area, but does anyone know of someone who is really pays attention to soundproofing?   Thanks so much!!

johnbergstromslc

Re: impact noise
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 03:31:44 PM »
If you tore off the existing ceiling drywall and hung the new stuff on resilient 'hat' channels (after you'd insulated the joist cavities) you'd only lose 1/2" in height.  Another layer of drywall (the more mass the better) and total loss would only be 1".

Combine that with a thick underlayment on your neighbors floor (look into the MLV+foam product sold on this site - it works well) and quality carpet, you should get some good results, at least a lot better than what you have now.

If/when the flooring installer is there, ask him to see if there are any gaps, penetrations, seams in the floor that he could seal up (with a flexible caulking).  This is a concern, especially in a 40 year old building.