Author Topic: Renting Basement  (Read 3773 times)

oceanslyric

Renting Basement
« on: May 08, 2006, 08:49:57 PM »
Hi.  Due to the high cost of renting in the DC burbs, my daughter and I are now renting the basement of a house.  It's a large basement, nearly 1400 sq ft counting the storage area.  

I am having two problems, both related to noise.  The first, and most annoying, is the noise from their TV coming through my ceiling.  My computer station sits right underneath it and I can hear every word and bass sounds are horrible.  It makes it really hard to hear my own TV or concentrate on my grad school coursework.  I've talked to the landlord about it... he said he put some sort of carpet underneath it, but it didn't stop the noise.    They have wood flooring.  Is there something I can get that he can put under his TV to decrease the annoying sounds I hear?  I am at the point now that I will buy it FOR him so that I can have some peace.  The wood floors upstairs also make every little noise from them amplify... walking, dropping something, shoes on... PLEASE help.  I have 10.5 more months to go on this lease.    :'(

Hickory_Stick

Re: Renting Basement
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 04:58:26 AM »

joel

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 06:39:35 PM »
Hello oceanslyric,

Did you try the suggestion from the link that Hickory_Stick provided for you in May?  If so, what were the results?  If not good, and the landlord will allow you to or will do it himseld, here is another - more permanent - solution.  Use Green Glue with another layer of drywall added to the exisiting ceiling in your basement apartment.  It will both decouple the new layer from existing and block sound.  For some info on Green Glue see http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/GreenGlue.htm

Joel

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 11:51:15 PM »
Joel:

Make sure to look at the category - they're renting.  They're not gonna spend all that money improving someone else's place.  I know I have never cared about a rental unit enough to spend that kind of money....

supersoundproofing

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 05:47:24 AM »
Joel:

Make sure to look at the category - they're renting.  They're not gonna spend all that money improving someone else's place.  I know I have never cared about a rental unit enough to spend that kind of money....

We don't care how much our client will spend, John.  We help people soundproofing cameras and aquariuums!  Just to help is enough for us.  We know that it will come back to us many times over, if not in renumeration, in gratitude.

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing