Author Topic: Advise for a new practice space  (Read 3786 times)

MrBoo

Advise for a new practice space
« on: May 18, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »
Hi All.  I will be getting married soon!  In an effort to start things on the right foot, I would like to limit the amount of noise I generate from my practice area.  I perform with a keyboard and prerecorded music and I sometimes can get a little loud, but not rock band loud.  She loves to hear it, but I doubt shes going to want to put up with it all the time.  Anyway, a little about the space.  Basement level, 11x18 or so.  Garage on the other side of the right wall, storage space half way up on the left wall, Back wall is to outside and is brick.  One small window Front is a hallway that bends to lead upstairs.  Ceiling is maybe 7 1/2 ft with a spare beadroom/ exercise room overhead.
The space seems to be in a great location naturally, but I plan to not take any chances.  I don't think I need it totally sound prrof, but I do want to take some measures.
I am new to this sound proofing thing, but I have read up on it some.  I know that a rom within a room would be best, or at least some space between wall layers, but the space is kind a small as it is.   The room is finished already, by the way..
What kind of result could I expect if I used a layer of MLV over the existing walls, then a layer of drywall, then maybe another layer of MLV?  Does it still provide some sound damping? Can you leave MLV exposed?  Would the foam backed version offer any sound absorption?
I also thought of sound proof curtains over the window, and a walk through sound curtain at the entrance, then a solid door at the top of the stairs.

Thanks

MrBoo

Re: Advise for a new practice space
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 05:45:35 PM »
Also, one mpre question. Would the same possible solution work on the ceiling as well?  (If at all)

Thanks,

ANDY

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 02:24:22 PM »
Mr Boo, have you seen the line of products from quiet solution ? They have a soundproofing drywall that works very well in a retro fit situation,and only takes up 5/8" of your wall space. This one layer of 5/8" drywall is equal to 8 layers of standard 5/8" drywall acoustically.Please call or email with any questions .

Thanks
                                                          Andy

Andy Ackerman
    P & A supplies
    1-800-211-4728
     andyackerman@pasupplies.com

joel

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 11:47:54 PM »
Hi MrBoo,

Forget quietrock that andy sells - it costs $3.24/sq ft and is a toe breaker.  If you use the MLV exposed, use the MLV w/foam back - foam side out.  The open cell version is less expensive and works well.  Adding two layers of 1/8" MLV to existing drywall and then covering with a second layer of drywall will add 40 STC to the existing walls/ceiling.  A more economical method is to use Green Glue - similar results and more bass blocking (although it takes 2-3 weeks for Green Glue to fully cure).  MLV is $1.47/sq ft and Green Glue works out to $1.00/sq ft - 2 tubes/4x8 sheet.  Sold by the case of 12 tubes (29oz) for $175.00 - coverage is 192 sq ft/case.  For Green Glue info see http://www.greenglue.org/ggsoundproofing.html  

Joel