Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Our Sound Proof Windows experience  (Read 7189 times)

abby67

Our Sound Proof Windows experience
« on: January 20, 2006, 01:15:31 AM »

Hello,
Just thought I'd add a post on how Sound Proof Windows worked for us.  I gained a lot of info from this site (thank you!) and we ended up deciding to go with the Sound Proof Windows.  Overall we're very glad that we did.  We live in a condo so we've always had to deal with neighbor noise and also traffic noise due to the fact that our unit faces the street.  For the most part the noise wasn't that much of a problem,  I don't consider myself super sensitive to sound.  What became a problem was when the big empty lot directly across the street from us was sold to Walmart!  :( Construction started about 2 months ago and the noise was loud, especially at 6:30 on a Saturday morning!  Our bedroom window is only 60 feet away from all the construction trucks with their loud engines and the really annoying beeping sound when they reverse.  Anyway, we figured that even though construction wouldn't last forever the traffic would increase and so would general noise just from having a Walmart Super Center across the street.  We installed the windows ourselves.  It was a pretty easy thing to do if you've got a screw driver and drill and a fairly handy person around.  While the windows didn't shut out all the noise (we weren't expecting them to) they definitely cut the noise level down a lot.  Where before we couldn't help but notice the noise, now we can just go about our business and don't really notice the noise unless we stop and listen for it.  We have really big windows 8' x 3.5' and we have a 4 inch gap between the exterior and the Sound Proof Window.  I'm guessing that our exterior walls are fairly decent.  If you go to the Sound Proof Windows website they have a demo you can listen to that shows how much their windows reduce sound.  For us, that demo was very accurate.  I'm sure we could reduce the sound even more if we put up blinds and heavy curtains.  See http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm  Also the other big difference we noticed was how insulating the windows are.  It makes a VERY big difference.  I can sit next to the window and not feel a cold draft anymore.

Hope this info helps someone.

Colleen  :)

SuzannaR

Re: Our Sound Proof Windows experience
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:51:21 PM »

Thanks, such feedback is invaluable in making a decision to go forward with soundproof windows.com

caugas

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 07:31:21 PM »

Hello,
Just thought I'd add a post on how Sound Proof Windows worked for us.  I gained a lot of info from this site (thank you!) and we ended up deciding to go with the Sound Proof Windows.  Overall we're very glad that we did.  We live in a condo so we've always had to deal with neighbor noise and also traffic noise due to the fact that our unit faces the street.  For the most part the noise wasn't that much of a problem,  I don't consider myself super sensitive to sound.  What became a problem was when the big empty lot directly across the street from us was sold to Walmart!  :( Construction started about 2 months ago and the noise was loud, especially at 6:30 on a Saturday morning!  Our bedroom window is only 60 feet away from all the construction trucks with their loud engines and the really annoying beeping sound when they reverse.  Anyway, we figured that even though construction wouldn't last forever the traffic would increase and so would general noise just from having a Walmart Super Center across the street.  We installed the windows ourselves.  It was a pretty easy thing to do if you've got a screw driver and drill and a fairly handy person around.  While the windows didn't shut out all the noise (we weren't expecting them to) they definitely cut the noise level down a lot.  Where before we couldn't help but notice the noise, now we can just go about our business and don't really notice the noise unless we stop and listen for it.  We have really big windows 8' x 3.5' and we have a 4 inch gap between the exterior and the Sound Proof Window.  I'm guessing that our exterior walls are fairly decent.  If you go to the Sound Proof Windows website they have a demo you can listen to that shows how much their windows reduce sound.  For us, that demo was very accurate.  I'm sure we could reduce the sound even more if we put up blinds and heavy curtains.  See http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm  Also the other big difference we noticed was how insulating the windows are.  It makes a VERY big difference.  I can sit next to the window and not feel a cold draft anymore.

Hope this info helps someone.

Colleen  :)

Colleen,

This inforamtion was helpful. I am at a crossroads in my decesion making.... I appreciate you writing this up..

lunyc

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 12:12:35 AM »

Hi Colleen,

What glass thickness are your windows? I am in the process of deciding which windos to get now, and glass thickness seems to be a factor, thanks!