Author Topic: Glass Door STC 51 --- is this enough?????  (Read 4104 times)

roughly

Glass Door STC 51 --- is this enough?????
« on: June 11, 2006, 04:10:38 AM »
hey gang,

Getting set to buy an external door for my recording space from a local studio door maker. Anyway my question is this ... will a 51 STC rated door do the trick for me, ah you say well that depends. Well here is my situation , we have a recording space 20' from the road which has moderate traffic  (for IL) but the real problem is my lawn enthusiast neighbors that will ---- i kid you not ---  mow for a upwards of 10 hours at a time; and i have several neighbors like this and they take turns cycling the days. IE very hard to ever have a quiet moment for recording strings and such. One of the mowers, i swear, must have a glass pack on it -- IT IS LOUD. Now we are taking the pain to build sound prooof walls and ceiling but i am concerned with the door in question ... can you guys help me out with some input.   Will a 51 STC door be enough?

jeffrey

johnbergstromslc

Re: Glass Door STC 51 --- is this enough?????
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 09:35:19 PM »
That door has a pretty high rating.  If it doesn't do the trick alone, install another door (a regular solid-core door will do, provided it has good perimeter sealing) a few feet away and fill the wall spaces in between with some kind of absorbtive panel/insulation.

joel

Re: Glass Door STC 51 --- is this enough?????
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 06:17:05 PM »
A glass door with a 51 STC rating is excellent.  Whether it will cut out enough sound for you is questionable.  For comparison's sake it is worth noting that codes for new condominium separation walls are 60 or 61 STC.  If municapal building experts feel that is a minimum between separate units, then that may imply what STC it takes to block "all" unwanted sound coming into an area from a neighbor.

Joel

anything