Author Topic: Sound proofing a medium sized bedroom  (Read 5478 times)

cwby2218

Sound proofing a medium sized bedroom
« on: June 28, 2006, 08:40:46 PM »
  My wife and I want to soundproof our bedroom so the kids who sleep in the bedroom next to us won't hear what is goin on in our romm so we won't wake them can we use styrofoam panels on our walls cause we are renting the place so they won't hear us. if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this I would really appreciate it  :)

johnbergstromslc

Re: Sound proofing a medium sized bedroom
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 02:26:32 PM »
Styrofoam will be a waste of money - it won't work.

It would be easier if you could make structural changes/modifications to the wall, but you could try some of that foam+MLV product sold on this site.  I have never used it in that application, but you can staple it up to the wall and get some more mass between you and the kids.  

http://www.soundproofing.org/cgi-bin/cart.pl

Looks like it runs about 2 bucks/sq. ft.

noisetwentyone

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 09:48:48 PM »
I agree the Styrofoam (which is a type of closed cell, non-beaded polystyrene made by Dow) will make little difference.

However, while the MLV composite will do the job, it has to be the ugliest material on the planet. Like me, it works but it's ugly.

I've used similar materials and would suggest covering it with drywall, panelling, hung fabric or other suitable material.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 10:59:00 PM »
It's hard to give advice to renters.  Anything that will be really effective will cost money and take effort.  Money and effort that will go down the drain when you move out.  Only if you have a long lease can you justify the added expense.  

joel

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 05:52:18 PM »
Hi cwby2218,

I agree with all below - styrofoam panels to stop sound is a waste of money.  And yes, MLV by itself is ugly - but it works.  Some people have used reinforced MLV with a silver mylar face on one side.  You can staple it up or put gromets along one edge and hang on nails/screws.  Overlap slightly all ceiling to floor MLV "wall drape" panels for a continuous sound barrier curtain wall.  With the mylar side out you would have a "bright, shiny day" all the time and stop sound from leaving your bedroom.  Who knows, your kids may want some on their side of the wall too - "it looks so cool".  This would stop even more sound transmission through the common wall between you two/three/four.

Joel