Author Topic: Big Mouth Macaw  (Read 7493 times)

featherbrain

Big Mouth Macaw
« on: July 02, 2006, 05:51:10 AM »
I have a pet macaw named Fifi.  I swear this girl goes up to at least 120 decibels when she screams.

I own a condo with 12" thick reinforced block walls and 8" thick concrete ceilings and floors.  So my whole condo is concrete except a partition wall that divides the bedroom from the front room.  I have neighbors above, below and on each side of me!

My neighbor drops a weight when she hears the bird scream so I know it is time to look into soudproofing the bedroom because it is the smallest area.  

I have been looking at a product called Tiger Foam for the walls and ceiling???  Will that work?

Should I hire a sound engineer?

I am a little concerned because it is a big deal getting materials up in a high rise building.

How much should I expect to spend on a room that is 12' x15' x 8' ?

Is there any relatively simple solution to this dilema?

Thanks Wyatt

johnbergstromslc

Re: Big Mouth Macaw
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 03:24:20 PM »
The simplest solution, of course, is to get rid of the bird.

(Admittedly, I hate birds - from my former roomates parakeets to the horny little buggers chirping at 5 a.m. outside my window, trying to stir up some action.)

Tiger foam won't work.  It's expanded polyurethane and too rigid - don't waste your money.  

If the noise is that loud, you should go ahead and hire an acoustical consultant.  You're gonna need an extensive (and expensive) solution to your problem.

featherbrain

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 07:12:36 PM »
hello John,

Can't give up the bird I'm afraid.  Wish it was that easy.  

Tigerfoam advertises as a soundproofing agent in their ad.  They use closed cell polyurethane which I thought was supposed to block sound transmission.

I guess I need to start bring the hay bales up and glue them to the ceiling?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 06:21:02 PM »
Anything you rigidly mount to the ceiling can vibrate and transfer sound as well.  Granted, foams aren't as rigid as wood or drywall, but they won't solve your problem.  And they will probably leave a hell of a mess, too.  You need to 'decouple' the drywall to achieve sound isolation.  You can use soundboard or resilient channels, or build a secondary 'false' ceiling, if you're really serious.  It's like mounting the ceiling panels on a spring.  Adding mass helps, too.  It reduces the ceiling vibration and noise transfer.  

One thing you could try is the foam+MLV product sold on this site.  It is claimed you can simply staple it up on a wall or ceiling (with the MLV side away from the drywall), seal up the edges and get some sound reduction that way.  You can also paint it to match your wall color.  I have never used it in this manner, but they claim it works.  

Sounds like you don't want to do any major remodeling, so maybe that is your best bet.

skip

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:44:54 PM »
Fetaherbrain:

A combination of Mass Loaded Vinyl and Flame Retardent Cotton Sound Absorbing FIbres along with a new layer of Dry Wall can substantially reduce the sound problem that you are having in the room that you describe. Cost for material not counting labor and dry wall would be approximately $2000.00.

anything