Author Topic: Need a Creative Solution :)  (Read 4902 times)

jenny

Need a Creative Solution :)
« on: July 12, 2006, 09:04:16 PM »
Hi,

I work in a 600 square foot office with a 15 ft ceiling - it's basically a big open rectangle.

There is one window which is approx. 8' X 6' with a beautiful view of the railroad tracks.

I am searching for any advice on how I can reduce the noise of the trains. My initial thought was to somehow hang acoustic sheets in front of the window, but I'm not sure what would really work.

Any suggestions???

Cheers.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Need a Creative Solution :)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 11:53:49 PM »
Jenny:

You're right - most of the noise is entering through the window.  You could have a new (double glazed) window installed, a secondary window installed or build some kind of window plug.  If you want to spend some money, you could build it out of thick plexiglass, get some good noise reduction and not spoil the view.

John

jenny

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 10:59:00 PM »
thanks! what do you think about a white noise machine?

http://www.epinions.com/content_173746785924

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 11:03:02 PM »
White noise machines are pretty cool - I have a Sleepmate Soundscreen and it helps mask a lot of noise.  But I'm skeptical that it will block out the low-pitched rumble from a train.  Give it a try, though.  You can always return it if it doesn't work.

jenny

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 04:47:03 PM »
is it really any diifferent from having a fan running?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 08:38:04 PM »
is it really any diifferent from having a fan running?

Not really.  Difference is the white noise machine doesn't move a lot of air around like a fan and is much more comfortable in the winter.  But you won't have to worry about being too cold for a while....

joel

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 03:20:28 PM »
Hi Jenny,

Train noise is difficult to block out because it combines both air-borne and structure-borne sound.  Most train noise has a sound wave that is bigger than the house.  Some people have solved most of the noise through window problem by adding a storm window outside and an internal window of either glass or 3/8" acrylic to the inside, being sure to leave at least 1" air gap between existing window and added materials.  For soundproofing solutions for windows see

http://soundproofing.org/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm

After doing the above, then a sound-dampening curtain over the window will help.  Be sure to hang the curtain from ceiling to floor.  And remember, it is the accordion folds of the drape that trap and absorb the sound,so use a curtain that is at least 1/3 to 1/2 wider than the opening (window) you are covering.  See info at

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm

Joel