Author Topic: soundproofing between 2 outdoor concert stages  (Read 2603 times)

soundproofing between 2 outdoor concert stages
« on: July 20, 2006, 01:48:02 PM »
Hi, --We have an annual outdoor music festival with two stages, one a full showmobile with a large PA (can get specs at some point if you need them) Other stage is maybe 150 yards away behind a 10ft high, cinderblock shed. Main stage speakers face in direction of smaller stage; sound bleeding is a major problem. Organizers tried a 10ftH x 5ftD x 10ftW wall of hay cubes to muffle the sound. It may have helped when some of the small acoustic  acts were on main stage, but as soon as the bands came the noise was a real problem, especially for anyone sitting beyond the periphery of the small building or hay wall. This seems like a near impossible problem to solve without enormous, self-defeating expenses, since sound can easily go above and around 10 ft high or 10 ft wide. I do think it's possible that another much lighter material than hay might be out there, but still....

I'd appreciate any ideas you have on this.

Re: soundproofing between 2 outdoor concert stages
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 12:50:45 AM »
I think your problem goes beyond this forum.  The topics on this site are really only about soundproofing a residence.  

You should hire an acoustic engineer/consultant to come and look at your setup.  You need professional help.

One thing I can tell you:  You might want to turn down the bass.  No wall is gonna block that much omnidirectional sound energy.  

(I know, it's a dumb suggestion, antithetical to holding any kind of decent concert, but it's all I gots....)

P.S.: If some dude named Andy tells you Quietrock will solve your problems, tell him to piss up a flagpole...