Author Topic: Music Studio Drum Room  (Read 7779 times)

Time_Music

Music Studio Drum Room
« on: July 21, 2006, 07:48:53 PM »
I have a music  lesson studio  on the second floor of a commercial retail building. Directly across from us is a day spa. They have complants that the drums are interfearing with there business. A acoustical assesment was done and it was determined that there was transfer comming from the floor to there suite. I already had an idea of this because I can hear them walking in the spa from my suite. What would be the least exspensive approach to treat this issue.

Thank you,

David

agtrojan

Re: Music Studio Drum Room
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 10:39:34 PM »
David,

You need to decouple the source of the noise (drummer) from the common floor.  Do you have any soundproofing in the walls?  Do you have a practice room within the retail space?  How big is the room?  What's in the ceiling (ceiling tiles, drywall)?

Myriam

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:19:20 AM »
Hey Alex,

I have a similar scenario(drums), however I'm planning from scratch and although I don't have all the details and am hesitating about asking for a quote, a rough estimate would certainly help to prepare. My room is dry-walled/
20' X 30' I want to soundproof noises coming in and out of this room, the ceiling and the ground. I have no windows, just a door, again a rough estimate would help to prepare a budget// breakdowns I guess come later when this project is ready to be taken care off, right?

A little help would help a lot,
Thanks!
-Myriam

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:40:54 AM »
Sounds like you're all sharing the same concrete slab.  You should construct a 'floating floor' to isolate both impact noise (footsteps, stuff dropping) and flanking noise from your drums.  It won't be cheap, but it doesn't have to be mega-expensive, either. 

Search the supersoundproofing website for more details.

raven

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:45:25 AM »
i learnt a good technique of floating your drum kit on a stage resting on car tires. that could sit on carpet or a few layers of foam and carpet etc etc, build stage with green glue between two layers of mdf
cheep!!!

ears4hire

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 01:53:43 AM »
Don't forget to treat the walls so the Studio sounds good inside.

See the "Control Room Layout?" topic for more on this; an excerpt below:

Bass traps are the typical solution for bass resonance. If the room is all sheetrock the room will not have a flat response; it will be mid-bass heavy, so tuned panels maybe what you need. With harder construction materials the typical tuned panels may not be what you need.

David Kennedy
Acoustic Consultant

www.d-k-a.com
www.integrityacoustics.com
phone: 760-798-9038

anything