Author Topic: Price Performance Tradeoff  (Read 4974 times)

houseofyin2

Price Performance Tradeoff
« on: July 23, 2006, 03:38:14 AM »
Folks,

I am in the process of replacing paneling with drywall along a pair of common walls in my townhouse.  I had not intended to treat this as a sound-proofing activity per se, (i.e. the complete solution described at http://www.soundproofing.org/images/wall_2d.jpg seems like overkill).  However, I wondered what cost effective steps could be taken since I already have the wall down.

The walls currently have just 1" firring strips, so there is not a lot of room for fiberglass or fiber.  Since the firring strips have been exposed channel would be an option.

If one were to take just one or a few of the various sound-proofing strategies, which ones give this most (or should I say least :+) bang for the buck?

johnbergstromslc

Re: Price Performance Tradeoff
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 09:38:22 PM »
Resilient channel and double drywall would probably give you the best dB/dollar noise reduction (assuming you're going to do the work yourself) but the channel has some drawbacks - can be tricky to install (if you've never done it before) and you can't really hang anything heavy on the wall, like bookcases or cabinets.

If you have the floor space, you could convert the wall into a staggered-stud or double wall.  If not, you could try double drywall with a Green Glue layer.  If you went with 1 tube/sheet and 2 layers of 5/8" drywall, it would cost about $10/linear foot of wall.

Also, some kind of absorbtive insulation in the wall cavity would be better than none.  And don't forget sealing...

houseofyin2

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:23:52 PM »
Thanks for the response.

What makes the channel installation tricky?

Is there any difference to the approach to installing a second drywall layer with the channel vs without?

You mention sealing, are you referring to acoustic caulking around the edges, metal tape on the seams or both?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 01:48:26 AM »
With the channel, it's fairly easy to screw into a stud and ruin all you're trying to accomplish.  You have to be real careful and mark out the stud locations on the floor and ceiling and try not to put a screw within 6" of any stud or plate.

A second layer of drywall on a normal wall helps a little bit by adding more mass to the wall, but channel (or staggered/double studs) decouples the drywall, kind of like mounting it on a spring.  

As for sealing, I would not only caulk the edges, but the field seams of the drywall too.  And since foil tape is pretty cheap, why not use it too?  I do.  I'm sure you've heard the analogy - pretend like you're building an aquarium and seal up accordingly.

joel

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 06:36:33 PM »
Hello houseofyin2,

Here's a different solution than what has been suggested in previous replies.  Since you have removed the paneling from your walls, why not remove the useless 1" furring strips as well?  Than will give you an existing wall to work form.  Apply two layers of Green Glue sandwiched between two layers of 1/2" or 5/8" dry wall.  It is best to use at least 2 tubes per 4x8 sheet.  3 tubes per sheet gives about 20% better results.  Cost is $0.93/s

joel

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 06:44:44 PM »
houseofyin2,

OOps - hit the wrong key.  Oh well, to continue my reply...  Cost per sq ft for 2 tubes/4x8 panel is $0.93 and for 3 tubes/4x8 panel is $1.43.  Green Glue not only adds STC it lowers the resonant frequency of the wall - greatly reducing low frequency sound transmission through the wall.

See this special link on the website (be sure to check out Data and Installation Guidelines)

http://www.greenglue.org/ggsoundproofing.html

Joel

anything