Author Topic: Floor vibrations from drums  (Read 7908 times)

dave529

Floor vibrations from drums
« on: July 30, 2006, 04:14:32 PM »
I live in an older high-rise apt. building and have an electronic drum kit. I play through earphones, but there is a fairly significant amount of vibration through the floor (biggest issue) and possibly some tapping that can be heard through the plaster walls into the next apartment. The floors are carpeted (21 oz. carpet w/ 4 to 6 lb. rebond pad). I just got the drums so haven't had any complaints yet but want to avoid them altogether. Can you give me some ideas mainly for the floor but also the walls, if there's a relatively solution?

joel

Re: Floor vibrations from drums
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »
Hello Dave529.

Many electronic drummers have found the new "dimple" vibration pads or strips to be effective for stopping vibration at the floor of their units.  See

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/vibrationpads.htm#Vib

Some have purchased the subfloor plus material itself(dimple) and added MLV w/Closed Cell foam (with foam side down into the dimples) for even better results.  See

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm

Joel

Gg

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
Could you please clarify this for me?  This is probably a stupid question but I don't really know anything about this stuff and am trying to silence an e-drum kit as well.  I'm in an apartment building but I have uncarpeted wood floors.  There's no one below me (just a laundry room) but someone called "too loud" into my window when I was using the bass kick a lot, so I think the vibration from that carries around regardless.

Okay, so you suggest the dimple mat plus the closed cell MLV with "the foam side down into the dimples."  Going by this image I assume you mean the dimple pad directly on the floor, then the MLV on top of it foam side down, correct?  The "into the dimples" part makes it sound like you could mean MLV on the floor, foam side up, then the dimple pad on top so the foam works its way in between them.

Other questions: Can I just lay a rug over them and that's it, or should I have more between the drum set and these two layers?  A lot of people seem to be building elaborate foam filled stands instead.  I also thought about putting the cork/neoprene vibration pads under the legs and pedals.  Is that something I should be looking at, or is that not really the best option for this?

joel

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 05:20:36 PM »
If you use the 'dimple' pad idea, the dimple composite goes down first dimples down), then the MLV w/foam (the image shows MLV w/open cell - cheaper and still works well for you) - except you will be putting the MLV w/foam side down (toward the 'cup' side of the dimple composite) on top with MLV side up.  With the MLV side up you will have a tough surface on which to set drum set.
If you just want something to put under the feet of the set, use 1" thick SSP Mat under foot pedal and the standard 3.5"x3.5" dimple pads under the feet. 
Some of our customers have made the fancy platforms using the 2" thick SSP Mat cut into 2" wide strips (it comes 4' wide and sold by the running foot) as the runners under the platform.