Author Topic: Apartment, can't take up the carpet  (Read 3011 times)

Dames

Apartment, can't take up the carpet
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:58:38 PM »
So I was wondering if getting the MLV and putting it on top of the carpet I already have and then putting some cheap carpet and padding over it would work.

I ask this because while my landlady has no problem with my replacing the carpet, she told me that I would have to leave it here when/if I move.  Which is silly, because if I leave, I'm taking the MLV with me and I don't plan on ripping up another carpet to do so.

The reason why I want some soundproofing is because I finally got neighbors below me after a year of empty bliss, and while they aren't as offensively loud as could be, the man is hard of hearing and has a tendency to turn up the TV if his wife isn't home.

And the place isn't what you would call soundproofed in the first, so I can hear incidental noises and some conversation, though nothing clearly.

Thoughts on the subject?

Thank you!

agtrojan

Re: Apartment, can't take up the carpet
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 11:18:44 PM »
Dames,

You may want to consider using the 1/8" MLV that is 1 lb/sq ft and is rated at 27 STC over your existing carpet.  If you use the 1/4" MLV you'll gain an additional 6 STC.  Make sure you cover the room wall-to-wall.  Then, place your carpet pad and carpet over the MLV.

For more information on the MLV click below:

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm

Alex

anything