Author Topic: Computer, high-frequency whine  (Read 2727 times)

Mike Conlon

Computer, high-frequency whine
« on: April 09, 2001, 10:31:38 PM »
My new computer is now generating a high-pitched whine which is very annoying. I've read the post on computers, but am concerned about two things:
1. How well does the soundproofing material deal with different frequencies, especially the high frequencies?
2. If I apply the material directly to a disk drive or a power supply, it is going to run a lot hotter, and if I determine it's too hot, is it easily removed?
Since I have a Macintosh, the link to PcQuiet is not applicable, but I definitely agree with the idea.

veronica

Re: Computer, high-frequency whine
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2001, 03:59:04 AM »
I have the same problem--it makes working a real headache.  So far I have draped the machine with cotton batting from a sewing store--it is thick, quilt like stuff.  I am thinking of constructing a box to go around it, filled with padding, but giving the machine plenty of air to keep it cool--also, try putting a carpet scrap under it, and keeping the unit away from metal which may amplify the sound.  Good luck!

: My new computer is now generating a high-pitched whine which is very annoying. I've read the post on computers, but am concerned about two things:
: 1. How well does the soundproofing material deal with different frequencies, especially the high frequencies?
: 2. If I apply the material directly to a disk drive or a power supply, it is going to run a lot hotter, and if I determine it's too hot, is it easily removed?
: Since I have a Macintosh, the link to PcQuiet is not applicable, but I definitely agree with the idea.