Author Topic: small, non-metal "soundproof" box  (Read 15850 times)

nycjeff

small, non-metal "soundproof" box
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:54:43 AM »
Hello,
I'm glad I found this board.
I searched and didn't see anyone with quite my question so I figured I'd ask.
I'm trying to build a sound proof box to use as a control for a recording device that will be in the box.

I was thinking about just building some sort of box mold and filling it with molten lead. But I sort of need it to be non-metal.

so moving along with the box mold, I thought I might try silicone caulk and inject it into the mold, or something along those lines.
I haven't seen any ratings for sound reduction through silicone, so its hard to say.

I also thought about building a box, say two or three layers of 5/8" Quietrock all around, but since I'll have to open the box on a regular basis to take out the device, I'd be concerned that the edges would sort of crumble and eventually I've got an expensive pile of dust.

Anyone have any comments or thoughts about this type of project?

thanks in advance.

joel

Re: small, non-metal "soundproof&quot
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 09:48:49 PM »
Hello nycfeff,

Some people who are not real handy with tools and construction matrials have come up with a way to "mold" a sound control "box".  They went to Home Depot and bought a fiberglass molded rock!  These "rocks" come in different sizes.  Then, to absorb and block sound inside the "rock, they used Super Soundproofing Mat (a closed cell, cross-linked, vinyl nitrile acoustic foam).  Most used the SSP Mat with a pressure sensitive adhesive back for a "peel & stick" installation.  This material gives a 25 STC in 1/2" thickness.  For info on SSP Mat see the chart at

http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html

For a base to sit the "rock" on use 1# MLV with closed cell foam.  This material is also listed on the above link a couple of items after the SSP Mat.

Joel

nycjeff

Re: small, non-metal "soundproof" box
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 05:46:11 PM »
Thanks for the response Joel.
when you say fiberglass rock, is it the sort of rock that is a decorative rock that you might place in your garden?
Does the fiberglass do much for the sound or is it just sort of holding the other vinyl nitrile foam?
Also, is the STC figure additive? If I have two layers, will it equal 50 STC or less than 50?
Thanks again.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 09:10:51 PM »
Jeff:

If you need the box to be non-metallic (for EMF reasons?) then don't use Quietrock.  It has a thin layer of metal in it's construction.  They brag about how well it blocks EM on their website.  

STC is not additive.  If you double the mass of a soundproofing partition, you generally add 5-6 points to the STC.  If STC were additive, noise problems wouldn't exist - you could build an STC 90+ wall with just 6 layers of drywall!!

nycjeff

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 03:27:24 AM »
ahh, thanks for that. It was going to be tough to get the drywall into the taxi and take it back home.

So, does anyone have any idea of the stc of the 1" foam or 2" foam mentioned above?
-j

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 09:57:06 PM »
I doubt the foam will work the way you want it to.  

If you really need the box to be soundproof, try building 2 boxes - a box inside a box.  Just make sure the boxes aren't rigidly attached to each other; mount the inner one on some kind of resilient pads/mats.  Then fill the cavity between with some kind of absorbtive insulation; fiberglass works nicely.   And make sure you can close up and seal each box well (use silicone caulk in addition to screws when you're building them.)  In the end you'll have what is known as a 'double leaf' system, the most effective soundproofing for a given amount of mass.

You're right, any kind of drywall would probably crumble and not last too long.  Try 3/4" MDF (medium-density fiberboard - almost as dense as drywall) and have the home center/hardware store do the cutting for you.  It'll cost a bit more, but it will save you a lot of trouble...

skip

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 04:39:30 PM »
The box in a box is an excellent idea. Lining the boxes with Closed Cell Accoustic Foam is also a goo idea. Take a look at:/http://soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm.

Also take a look at:/http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html.

Excellent results have been gained by using this approach.

nycjeff

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 05:36:57 PM »
thanks for those replies. Those should be helpful.
I'm thinking of doing box-in-box with the MDF. and some kind of seal/latch to keep the boxes closed tightly.

Any idea of how well MDF cuts on a table saw? I would imagine it should be fine. (edit=although it uses glue to cement it all together, so maybe having them do it at the store is better. I'm going to have a bunch of panels, do you think they'll be willing to do that much?)

now my biggest concern is with the low frequencies, human voice say 80-250 hz, All the diagrams seem to showperformance that isn't so good in this range.

Any ideas on how I can get my box checked out for performance across frequencies?
Are there people that measure such things?

Thanks again for all the help.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 07:44:58 PM »
MDF cuts beautifully on power tools, better than plywood, actually.  

I know the lumber stores around my part of the woods charge a buck a cut, so maybe you'll only want them to cut it down small enough so you can get it home and do the rest.  

Couldn't tell you about frequency performance.  If the boxes aren't doing as well as you'd expected, add more mass to them.  Maybe drywall on the inside will survive.

By the way, you're not going to be stuffing a person in these boxes, are you??  This is 'soundproofing.org', not 'serialkilling.org'.....

nycjeff

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 08:48:22 PM »
No killing of any kind, except perhaps AAA batteries. Just small electronic recorders that will go inside.

skip

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 08:52:39 PM »
Sound meters both analog and digital are available at Radio Shack stores. They cost about $50.00 each.

Low Frequency sound is always the hardest to deal with,  no matter what material is used.

MDF can be cut with  a table saw. Home Depot and local hardware stores can cut to your specific requirements with a cutting charge involved.

1 inch thick Closed Cell VInyl Nitrile Accoustic Foam has an STC of 25.

Hope this reply answers your recent questions.

nycjeff

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 02:39:19 AM »
Hi Skip,
Yes, I think it just about covers everything.
I'll be sure to post some links with pictures once I've finished my project.
Thanks again to everyone who helped.
I guess I'll be calling SSP to place an order in the next week or so.

nycjeff

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 01:09:10 PM »
Well, I'm almost done with my project.
Just wondering if anyone can clue me in about the best way to cut 1" Closed Cell VInyl Nitrile Accoustic Foam.
I'm using a box cutter type blade and getting very rough edges. Is there a better way.
-jeff

agtrojan

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 06:21:09 PM »
Jeff,
Make sure you use a sharp blade.  We have found that as the blade loses its edge it may not cut the closed cell foam as cleanly as it does when it is sharp.

Alsoit is best to use a straight edge to maintain an even cut.

http://   We can also supply the special cutting tool and sharpener for high production installation jobs.  Call us!\

www.soundproofing.org

bj

1-888-942-7723

nycjeff

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 03:00:53 AM »
Hello all,
Thanks for everyone's help.
Here's the link for the finished project.
http://www.evppodcast.com/Soundbox.html
Its a bit of a paranormal experiement for those interested in that sort of thing.

-jeff

anything