Author Topic: Vibrations from floor through bed  (Read 22767 times)


  • Guest
Vibrations from floor through bed
« on: August 23, 2006, 05:41:42 AM »
I live on the second floor of a two-story apartment building, and often have difficulty sleeping at night due to noise rising from the floor through my bed. Is there any sort of material or object I could put under the feet of the bed to help block/abosrb the vibrations?


  • Guest
Re: Vibrations from floor through bed
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 04:56:34 PM »
Hello Mr. Bob,

There are anti-vibration pads you can put under the feet of your bed that will stop the structural vibration transfer from the floor your bed sits on.  See info at

If the floor vibration is caused by low frequency sound (bass) or if the "noise" you describe is air-borne sound(talking, shouting, loud TV, stereo, etc.), then you will need to use a material that both absorbs vibration and blocks sound.  The material to use would be 1/8" MLV (Mass loaded vinyl) with 1/4" closed cell foam bonded to the underside.  For it to be effective, you will need to cover the entire floor, add carpet pad, and wall-towall carpeting.  If you only do the  area under your bed in this manner (be sure to extend material out a few feet past the bed perimeter), some noise will be blocked.  If the noise is very loud, some will still "flank" the vibration/noise barrier pad described.  With this solution you will still probably want to use anti-vibration pads under the feet of your bed.  For info on the MLV w/closed cell foam see the third type sold at