Author Topic: Noise From Above - Any Way To Get Relief?  (Read 4969 times)

RAS

Noise From Above - Any Way To Get Relief?
« on: August 30, 2006, 04:29:37 PM »
My family and I own/live in an apartment in a pre-war coop building in NYC. A few years ago a family bought 4 (!) apartments above us and combined them (8 months of gut renovation above our heads...wow) When the work was done we realized that they had created a huge dining/entertainment area above our entire apartment - walls gone, new hardwood floor, no additional soundproofing.

The noise is remarkable. There are 5 kids and two adults, lots of running and jumping, frequently with hard shoes on, and the racket is loud enough to be heard while we're speaking on the phone with friends. They move furniture around almost every day, roll carts around for meals, etc. and have parties where the clattering above our bedrooms goes on until after midnight.

Our building has great insulation horizontally speaking - we can never hear our next-door neighbors and one is a drummer. But the floors and ceilings throughout the building are practically transparent to sound. We've tried informal negotiation with the people above us and they have been slightly responsive, but not nearly enough to make our lives worth living again.

We are pretty much at our wits' end. Is there any practical way we can soundproof our place?

johnbergstromslc

Re: Noise From Above - Any Way To Get Relief?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 07:35:26 PM »
The best thing is if your neighbors would install a floating floor - a massive layer on top of a soft, resilient layer.  That would kill the vibration the best.  But it sounds like the neighbors won't be doing anymore work - no help there.  So you need to 'decouple' your ceiling from their floor; break the vibration path so the noise is not so loud.  

To be really effective, tear off the old ceiling, check to see if any sealing needs to be done and insulate the cavities.  Then mount the new ceiling on hat channels+SSP clips (sold on this site) or build a new frame for a 'false' ceiling (you'll lose 7-10 inches this way).  Then put 2 layers of 5/8" drywall (maybe you could use some Green Glue, too) and seal up the edges, seams and all penetrations, keeping the whole ceiling sort of 'free-floating', not in rigid contact with the walls, electrical boxes, etc.

It may be expensive and a big pain in the ass, but it'll help a lot.

agtrojan

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 05:15:52 PM »
I bet you feel like an extended member of the family who is sent to the "noisy" room as punishment.

All kidding aside, as John points out, you do have the option of decoupling your ceiling from the floor above using SSP Clips.

Here is a link to an image of the SSP Clip:

http://www.soundproofing.org/images/assy_rubber_clip_to_channel_02_032504.jpg

Then, assuming you're willing and able to remove the drywall from your ceiling, you may want to consider the following system to greatly reduce the noise from above:

1) Install Acoustic Cotton Fiber Insulation (R-19) between your floor joists.  Check out the product spec:

http://www.soundproofing.org/brochures/SSP%20Cotton%20Fiber%20Insulation.htm

2) Install Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV ) barrier directly onto your floor joists making sure you tape the seams, and apply acoustical caulk around the perimeter.  You need a small gap around the perimeter of the MLV (not to exceed 1/4") to avoid transfer of sound between walls and ceiling.

Here is a link to the MLV spec:

http://www.soundproofing.org/brochures/mass_loaded_vinyl.htm

3) Install the SSP Clips with DWFC over the MLV.

4) Install 5/8" sheetrock

5) Add a second sheet of 5/8" sheetrock with Green Glue.

Click to view the Green Glue info:

http://www.greenglue.org/ggsoundproofing.html

Make sure you click on the other two links on the page located in the lower, right-hand corner to view the data sheet and installation guide.

6) Sit back and enjoy peace and quiet in your room!

RAS

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 02:48:07 PM »
The best thing is if your neighbors would install a floating floor

How would this compare (cost and inconvenience) to decoupling the ceiling from my end? Just curious...I don't think they would do it.

Some friends told us that they had combined 2 apartments and done extensive remodeling...and they report that they said to themselves: We shouldn't torture our downstairs neighbors, let's install a floating floor! If only the folks above us had had that thought...

RAS

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 02:52:38 PM »
I bet you feel like an extended member of the family who is sent to the "noisy" room as punishment.

Actually, I feel as if I must have done something really, really bad in a former life. Roughly how much does a job like this cost? (This is a 2-bedroom apt, about 1100 sq. ft altogether)

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 07:29:41 PM »
The work on your end will probably run anywhere from $ 2.00 - 4.00/ sq. ft. depending on materials and whether or not you do the labor.

A floating floor is usually about $ 2-3/sq.ft., but it's probably too late for that...

agtrojan

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 07:17:24 PM »
Pricing will vary depending on the materials you select to decouple the ceiling from the floor above.

Based on this thread, you may find it easier to contact us to walk you through the solution.  You may call our toll free line at 888-942-7723.

'look forward to hearing from you.

RAS

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 08:46:06 PM »
Thanks very much for all the information so far! Those prices don't actually seem unreasonable if the solution really is effective. It does sound as if I have to more or less move out of the place while it's being done, yes?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 09:47:22 PM »
Probably, unless you can find a contractor that's willing to work around you, put up plastic and finish off one room at a time.  In addition, you'll have to do a lot of furniture moving.  

It might actually be easier than having to rent a storage shed, moving everything out then back in...  When you find a good contractor, ask how long the job (and each room) will take (and double it, for good measure) then you can make a better decision if you want to stay put or not.

anything