Author Topic: Bedroom noise ;)  (Read 3971 times)

BaBoom

Bedroom noise ;)
« on: August 30, 2006, 07:44:22 PM »
 I'm in the process of finishing my basement. I plan on making a bedroom for me and my girlfriend to stay in and I also plan to have space for my drums for practicing. My soundproof problem is twofold. The first being the drum noise and the second is my girlfriend noise. She is rather loud at times (if you know what I mean  ;) ). Half of the basement is underground with a poured concrete wall, and the other half is above ground with a regular framed wall with siding. The framed wall has insulation in it with a 2 ft. concrete knee wall . The knee wall creates a 2 in. lip extending from the wood wall. I'm trying to contain the noise in the basement and prevent it from going through the ceiling to other parts of the house. I believe most of the noise goes through the ceiling to the above floor. My questions are, would I need to "soundproof" the concrete wall? Should I build a second wall in front of the knee wall? What is the best soundproofing for the ceiling? Do soundclips work well alone? Would using just MLV be more affective instead of the sound clips? I'm on a tight budget so the most cost effective suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

johnbergstromslc

Re: Bedroom noise ;)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 06:16:24 PM »
Two problems:  "drums" and "tight budget".  

Drums are just too damn loud to effectively contain.  

A meager budget and good soundproofing are incompatible.

joel

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 12:16:50 AM »
Hi BaBoom,
The most simple method is to apply Green Glue sandwiched between fire code dry wall.  You may want to use it on the walls as well because sound can "flank" the ceiling and go up through the walls.  Here is a one page link for info on Green Glue: http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/GreenGlue.htm
Joel

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 12:55:31 AM »
In this case, I think "tight budget" translates into 'don't want to spend ANY money'...

Skip

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 04:32:31 PM »
I agree with the previous comment: Drum Sound reduction and a meager budget are mutually exclusive ideas.

anything