Author Topic: Soundproofing a condo - Is this correct?  (Read 3746 times)

thinfine

Soundproofing a condo - Is this correct?
« on: September 03, 2006, 01:40:25 PM »
I have combined all of the various responses that I have seen on this website as means to soundproof a condo.  I came up with a list of 3 options.

1.Tear down the existing drywall and insulate the wall with fiberglass or absorbent recycled cotton fiber.  Replace with 5/8” fire code drywall.  Tape, mud and paint as usual.

Questions: Do you need to caulk the seams of the new drywall with acoustical caulk?  If not, why?  What type of noise reduction (STC value) should one expect from this option?  

2.Using 2 tubes of Green Glue per 4’ x 8’ sheet of drywall, glue 5/8” fire code drywall to the existing layer of drywall.  Use a limited number of fasteners to secure second sheet of drywall.  Tape, mud and paint as usual.

Questions: Do you need to caulk the seams of the new drywall with acoustical caulk?  If not, why?  What type of noise reduction (STC value) should one expect from this option?  Does the extra layer of drywall make it difficult to locate studs?  If so, is there a way to use this option and still be able to hang items from the walls?  I would like to apply  soundproofing to the three walls in my loft, but I would need to be able to hang a plasma tv on one of the soundproofed walls.

3.Apply MLV directly to existing drywall (get the MLV with PSA - pressure sensitive adhesive back - for a peel & stick application w/no odor).  Apply the Green Glue directly to MLV, using 2 tubes of Green Glue per 4x8 sheet of drywall. For additional soundproofing, apply second layer of MLV and Green Glue.  Caulk the seams and around the perimeter of the MLV with an acoustical caulking.  Screw on final layer of drywall.  Tape, mud and paint as usual.  The Green Glue takes about 2 to 3 weeks to fully cure (it will wick into the drywall as it cures inside the sandwich).  You will get the immediate sound barrier affect of the MLV and, when the Green Glue cures, the resonant frequency of the wall assembly will drop - dramatically improving the bass frequency blocking.

Questions: What type of noise reduction (STC value) should one expect from this option?  Does the extra layer of drywall make it difficult to locate studs?  If so, is there a way to use this option and still be able to hang items from the walls?  I would like to apply  soundproofing to the three walls in my loft, but I would need to be able to hang a plasma tv on one of the soundproofed walls.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

thinfine

Re: Soundproofing a condo - Is this correct?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 10:12:04 AM »
Does anyone know if this info is correct?

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing a condo - Is this correct?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 07:24:19 PM »
I don't know exactly what you mean by "correct", but all your approaches are valid.  

It is good practice to caulk up all the seams, field and edge.  Cheap insurance against sound leaks.

I don't see any impediments to hanging objects on the walls.

As for STC increases, doubling up the drywall and adding insulation will increase the STC from 33 to 45, but since you're only doubling the drywall on your side, it's more like 41...  Doubling the drywall + insulation + Green Glue will get you about 47, maybe 42-43 in your application.

anything