Author Topic: soundproofing apartment ceiling  (Read 3428 times)

Karen Armstead

soundproofing apartment ceiling
« on: April 10, 2001, 09:37:51 PM »
I live in a nice older flat with hardwood floors and upstairs neighbors that keep late hours. Even when these people take their shoes off, the floor conducts sound so extremely well that I'm driven nuts by scuffling and thuds late at night. Carpeting isn't an option with the neighbors, nor will landlord press the matter. Moreover, a locally prohibitive housing market makes it unlikely I will move on anytime soon. In desperation, I am thinking of getting some of that reflective fiberglass batting for the ceiling and just tacking it up. If it would cut down noise %60, it would be worth the weekend and the hundreds I spend. On the other hand, if it would only reduce the noise %15, it wouldn't be worthwhile. Can anyone give me pointers, or think of a better solution?

Randy - Super Soundproofing CO

Re: soundproofing apartment ceiling
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2001, 04:36:14 AM »
: I live in a nice older flat with hardwood floors and upstairs neighbors that keep late hours. Even when these people take their shoes off, the floor conducts sound so extremely well that I'm driven nuts by scuffling and thuds late at night. Carpeting isn't an option with the neighbors, nor will landlord press the matter. Moreover, a locally prohibitive housing market makes it unlikely I will move on anytime soon. In desperation, I am thinking of getting some of that reflective fiberglass batting for the ceiling and just tacking it up. If it would cut down noise %60, it would be worth the weekend and the hundreds I spend. On the other hand, if it would only reduce the noise %15, it wouldn't be worthwhile. Can anyone give me pointers, or think of a better solution?
You are very astute to consider the "cost/benefit ratio"!  Fiberglass batting is near worthless for sound control, but effective for thermal, regardless of what Owens-Corning claims.
Best to put your money into the latest soundproofing acoustical foam that really works: see the link below.  Also http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm  

anything