Author Topic: Green glue and impact noise  (Read 3453 times)

Sachiko

Green glue and impact noise
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:19:20 PM »
I’m trying to get a handle on what I can do about impact noise (for example, footsteps) coming through my condo ceiling. As it is now, it’s like I’m living in a drum.

I’ve done some research and am planning to go all-out in the bedroom, dropping the ceiling using sound isolation clips, using extra drywall green glued underneath the floor between the joists, and adding fiberglass insulation for good measure. But that leaves the rest of the condo—namely, the 600 sq foot area that is the kitchen/living room/dining room area. Dropping that ceiling would be a major undertaking and beyond my budget.

Has anyone tried simply adding a layer of drywall (or two) to existing ceiling drywall with green glue in between for the problem of impact noise? Any first-hand experience on whether the results are worth the cost and effort?  

Thanks,
Sachiko

johnbergstromslc

Re: Green glue and impact noise
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 02:25:02 PM »
Basically, that's what your ceiling is - a drum.  

Sounds like you're on the right track.  Doing the whole place would be a lot of money, time and effort.  Make a long-term plan (if you're planning on living there that long, anyway.)  But for now, at least you'll have one room you can retreat to for some peace and quiet.

Simply adding a second layer to the ceiling would help a bit, and Green Glue would dampen a lot of the vibration, but the cavities would still be uninsulated and the ceiling rigidly attached to their floor joists.  You might be disappointed with the results.

Sachiko

Re: Green glue and impact noise
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »
Thanks, John. I guess it all boils down to how desperate I am. But I'll go ahead and do the bedroom first, then reassess. Sachiko

anything