Author Topic: trying to help the neighbors  (Read 5231 times)

bennyzz

trying to help the neighbors
« on: September 08, 2006, 10:45:07 PM »
i've just move into the top two stories of a 3 story house, and we're having problems with the neighbors below us about noise. some of it we can stop like loud music, and for the most part we keep to the 3rd floor, but they complain about footsteps and doors closing on the second floor. we have hardwood floors, and are no position to do any kind of construction. all i can think of doing is putting some thick carpents down. any other suggestions?

skip

Re: trying to help the neighbors
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 11:49:18 PM »
The neighbors downstairs are hearing the effects of Impact Sound that is created when you walk across your hard wood floors.

The best remedy for this type of problem is that of a carpet underlayment of Mass Loaded Vinyl that is laminated to 1/4" thick Closed Cell Foam. This underlayment is then covered with rebond rubber carpet pad and the carpet of your choice. the carpeting must be wall to wall in order to be effective.

The above remedy offers excellent results for both air bourne and impact sound problems.

urobolus

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 07:53:06 PM »
How did this work out?

I think this might be the solution to my problem... see http://supersoundproofing.com/forum/index.php/topic,2009.0.html

I think my impact noise might be a louder than just normal walking, so should I add another layer?

Skip

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 11:52:35 PM »
The Mass Lodaded Vinyl with the Closed Cell Faom Backing can reduce a lot of Impact sound. Two layers are not required. But, you must use rebond rubber coarpet pad and the the coarpet of your choice.

anything