Author Topic: Basement soundproofing  (Read 3597 times)

DAWGFAN

Basement soundproofing
« on: September 09, 2006, 02:26:06 PM »
I'm finishing my basement.  I'd like to provide soundproofing between the basement and the main floor.  I will install soundproofing components in the ceiling (such as RC-2, padding tape, maybe clips, cotton fiber insulation, etc).  My question is whether I need to do the same for the walls to affect the floors above.  The other side of the walls are only the outside of the house.  If I only worried about the ceiling, will it be sufficient?

Thanks for your interest in my query.

John

johnbergstromslc

Re: Basement soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »
You'll have to be the judge of that.

Are you soundproofing for a studio or home theater room?  Or do you just want a quiet place to get away to?

If you're trying to soundproof the noise from coming out of the basement, you should address the walls first, as they will be difficult to impossible to do later.  If not, mounting the ceiling will probably be adequate enough.

joel

Re: Basement soundproofing
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 11:36:20 PM »
hello DAWGFAN,

Many people who have done the sound control assembly on sound clips with bonded cotton insulation up inside the ceiling cavity have found it to be sufficient for blocking out all unwanted noise/sound.  For any sound/noise that may have flanked the ceilng and come down in through walls, the most simple solution that works is to use a layer of Green Glue sandwiched between the existing dry wall and an additional layer of 1/2" dry wall.  For some info on Green Glue see http://soundproofing.org/sales/GreenGlue.htm

Joel

anything