Author Topic: Duct work noise from floor foot traffic  (Read 8340 times)

m-n-m

Duct work noise from floor foot traffic
« on: September 12, 2006, 12:58:18 PM »
We have forced air ductwork that runs along the basement floor joists (underneath main floor). In some places on the first floor when you walk you can hear noises from the ductwork (sound almost like distant thunder when you step/walk over certain floor areas). I am assuming this is from the floor compression causing the ventillation ductwork to expand/contract (seems to be where the forced air ductwork is between the floor joists. How do I fix this (should I put a brace underneath the ductwork thats between the floor joist?).

johnbergstromslc

Re: Duct work noise from floor foot traffic
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 05:42:26 PM »
To get noise reduction, you want the duct to hang loosely as much as possible.  So try find out where it's making contact with the joists/subfloor (have a helper walk on it while you inspect the underside with a flashlight) and eliminate the vibration by changing the straps used to hang the ducts or get some soft material - rubber, cork, etc. - and put it between the duct and wood.  

joel

Re: Duct work noise from floor foot traffic
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 11:41:08 PM »
hello m-n-m,

The best material for sound insulation HVAC ductwork is our Super Soundproofing acoustic foam Mat.  Hundreds of thousands of feet of this material has been used for this purpose - both as replacement for asbestos duct lining inside and for lining outside ductwork.  For info and pricing see the first product listed at http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html

Joel

anything