Author Topic: Best solution for my needs?  advice pls    (Read 2884 times)

SingingMama

Best solution for my needs?  advice pls  
« on: September 14, 2006, 04:58:43 AM »
Hi!  I'm moving into an apartment in a few weeks and I'm nervous about being too loud & irritating my new neighbors.  The complex I'm moving into seems well-insulated and claims to be 'sound insulated' between floors, but I want to do what I can to help.  I'm a singer & I also play acoustic guitar.  My options (as far as I know) are:  1) Sing/play in my living room, since I have split bedrooms, to keep sound from bothering neighbors on either side, 2) Build a sound isolation booth (this would be verrrry scary/hard for me!), or 3) buy some of that MVP (?) that I've seen mentioned on this site and I guess put it up on the walls?  

I've talked to the apt. manager who seems to think I don't need to do any of the above~ they have tenants who own pianos and don't get any complaints.  But I think I would feel very uncomfortable, worrying I'm bothering my neighbors, if I don't do SOMETHING.  I would like to keep cost to a minimum as I'm renting.

Is there any advice you can share on the best solution that is not going to be really complicated?  (I'm not very good at building things or putting stuff together, lol).  Thanks for your help.  :)

agtrojan

Re: Best solution for my needs?  advice pls  
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 05:17:01 PM »
Your neighbors will be fortunate to have someone who cares enough to address a potential problem even before it is recognized as an issue.

Before you proceed with a soundproofing solution, you might want to talk to your neighbors and ask if they'd be willing to share their thoughts after hearing you sing and play.  This implies that you would perform in the room you are likely to use for practicing and that they provide  you feedback to determine whether or not they consider it noisy.

If you still wish to pursue a solution.  Then, you may want to consider a 4' x 4' x 7' modular, isolation booth that you can assemble in your living room.

Contact me at our toll free number 888-942-7723, if you want more information.