Author Topic: Soundproofing apt. party wall, MLV curtain method?  (Read 5010 times)

mdjenders

Soundproofing apt. party wall, MLV curtain method?
« on: September 15, 2006, 05:48:15 AM »
Hi.  I have a wonderful new apartment; most of the walls are solid, and the floors are pretty thick concrete.  However, part of my long living room wall faces a neighboring living room.  

The guy plays his TV loudly well into the night, every night.  I can hear him talking and coughing all the time.  The noise isn't too excessive, but it is there, and it is annoying considered the dead quiet of my apartment other than this one wall.  The party wall (10' wide by 8' tall) needs some soundproofing.  I cannot do anything permanent to the wall structure.  I think the MLV curtain method should take care of my problem, but I have some questions.  

First, what would be the cost of the MLV sheets (I live in Milwaukee, WI)?  Second, what kind of heavy duty mounting hardware would I need to hold the grommeted MLV to the wall? Third, I assume that the MLV can be mounted to the studs only?

I am a medical student and just want to get rid of this damn noise so I can study in peace.  I am so grateful to have happened upon this forum, and I am hopeful that a few hundred bucks and a Saturday of handiwork can fix my sound problem.  I think the MLV covered by some colorful drapery could also help the acoustics of my stereo setup :)

agtrojan

Re: Soundproofing apt. party wall, MLV curtain met
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 04:17:39 PM »
mdjenders,
Sheets of MLV hung on grommets will reduce the noise.  You can hang them using picture hangers rated at 40 lbs each.  The hanger should be attached to the studs to support the weight.

Pricing for an 80 SF will run a few hundred dollars and you can do it yourself in a single day.  Adding drapes will improve the acoustics in your room.

Call us to discuss your shipping options.

Alex

joel

Re: Soundproofing apt. party wall, MLV curtain met
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 08:19:50 PM »
Hi mdjenders,
When using MLV hung as drapes it is a good idea to used Reinforced MLV.  It costs a little more but will not tear out from the grommets due to the weight of MLV (1#/sq ft).  Reinforced 1# MLV is sold by the lineal/running foot at $10.30/lf.  Material is usually 4.5' wide (sometimes available in 4' wide on the west coast only).  The material has a silver foil face on one side.
Your idea to  use drapes on your side is good - that will absorb your stereo sound before it hits the MLV barrier at the wall.  When using drapes for sound absorption it is best to hang them from ceiling to floor and have drapes at least 1/3 to 1/2 again as wide as the area covered.  Example: 12' wide wall would require 16' to 18' wide drape.  It is the accordion fold of the drape that traps and absorbs sound.  You can hang them on 3"x3" light gauge angle with holes available from Home Depot or Lowes.
Joel  

anything