Author Topic: condo basement and home theater?  Do they mix  (Read 4085 times)

tom358

condo basement and home theater?  Do they mix
« on: September 18, 2006, 02:48:00 AM »
I live in Townhouse and have neighbors on both sides of me!!!!! I want to soundproof the basement for a home theater. I was planning on using insullation batts between the wall and concrete wall, resileint channels and one layer of 1/2 drywall and another 5/8 layer of drywall. The ceiling I was planning on using acoustical batts and a drop ceiling with acoustical tiles.   My main question is: are the mason walls sound proof?  If so I would then make one partition wall with  staggegerd studs and the above mentioned ideas.  ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

johnbergstromslc

Re: condo basement and home theater?  Do they mix
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 04:52:41 PM »
The weak link is the drop ceiling.  Acoustical ceiling tiles are designed to absorb echo, not to block transmission of sound.  

If you're serious, use insulation batts, SSP clips, res. channel (RC-2), and two layers of drywall.  Do this not only on the walls, but ceiling as well.  Seal up all the seams and edges with acoustical caulk - be thorough and picky and you'll end up with a nice, quiet space.  And your neighbors will be happy, too.

Masonry walls are a lot more soundproof than drywall, due to the increased mass, but resiliently mounting the drywall will isolate the noise a lot more.

tom358

Re: condo basement and home theater?  Do they
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 07:45:59 PM »
Can I take the walls in about 9 inches on each side and just use 5/8 drywall on res channel and insullation batts, or do I have to go all out even on the walls with mason brick?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 08:21:49 PM »
It's really up to you.  Maybe you should experiment - see how loud it is without doing the masonry, then you can always come back later and add more if need be.

tom358

Re: condo basement and home theater?  Do they
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 11:51:27 PM »
I did a very smart thing; I put all my equipment in the basement and crudley put it all together and cranked it.  I then went next door to the neighbors and I could not hear very much at all.  There was a little to much bass and it was heard mostly upstairs.  They do not have a finsihed basement either.  I may just take the easy route and go form there.  ANY IDEAS OR WARNINGS?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:43:23 PM »
Sounds like the walls are doing their job.  Focus on installing a resilient ceiling and the sound that is transferred through the light wood will be reduced.

agtrojan

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »
tom358,

If you want to reduce the low frequency use Green Glue between two layers of drywall.

Click to view the info on Green Glue:

http://www.greenglue.org

You can purchase the Green Glue directly on the www.soundproofing.org web site.