Author Topic: question with long explanation  (Read 5311 times)

rinoa0587

question with long explanation
« on: September 19, 2006, 02:48:20 AM »
hello all!
well, I am not renting but am in a situation where I cannot do anything permanent or damaging to my bedroom as I am living with my dad. The problem I have is my step-brother likes to leave his tv cranked up to an ungodly loud level just to get under my skin because I have to wake up early. this is a problem that is destroying my education because I can't stay up for my morning classes. I like the story on this site about blocking out the noise from the neighbor by putting up a secondary wall, unfortunatly I don't have enough room to do that along the wall I need to take care of because my door opens up toward that wall. My dad suggested that we do the secondary wall but just put up some sort of sound barrier along the area that I have to cut the wall off at. I'm just concerned that it won't really work and then I'll be out a lot of money and have ruined a wall for no reason. has anyone ever had to do something similar, or does anyone know if it would work to do a secondary wall for 3/4 of the wall and then just insulation foam or somthing on the last 1/4. sorry if this is confusing, I'll try to clarify if anyone wants to help but isn't sure of what I'm asking.
thanks so much!
*ashley

johnbergstromslc

Re: question with long explanation
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:04:35 PM »
Hey Ashley:

Here's what you do.  Start sleeping with earplugs.  You probably won't be able to hear your alarm go off, so buy an 'extra loud' alarm clock (Timex makes one for about 9-10 bucks).  You'll be able to hear that, and likely so will he.

If your step brother complains that he's being woken up so early, simply tell him, "Well, you make so much noise at night that I need earplugs to sleep.  Stop making so much noise at an inconvient hour and so will I..."

See if he likes his own medicine...

Also, talk to your dad about giving him a dope-slap, or at least lay down some rules for the peace and quiet of everybody.

Try those tactics first, before spending a lot of money.

rinoa0587

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 07:44:03 PM »
lol thanks but the earplugs amplify the noise because its more of a reverberating noise through the wall, which also means it will be more complicated to take care of the problem. the uh "dope-slap" technique and taste of your own medicine techniques have been employed but haven't worked. I've even stooped to shutting off our router so that he can't get an internet connection when I'm trying to sleep. while reading other posts I got the idea that maybe putting up the mass loaded vinyl on both my wall and his wall and also hanging an acoustic sheet over his door that he doesn't use (which is right next to the living area) will not only decrease the amount of sound I'm hearing but also the amount he's hearing so that he won't feel compelled to turn his TV up so load. before I go ans spend $500+ on all of this I'm just wondering if it sounds like it will work or if it'd just be  a waste of money and effort. thanks much!

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 10:10:30 PM »
Instead of building a 'secondary' wall, you could convert the partition you have now into a staggered-stud wall.  I've done it several times, and the solution works great.

First, tear off the existing drywall.  Do any sealing inside the wall that needs to be done.  Add 2X2's to the top and bottom plates and the sides of the wall.  Then add studs to your side of the wall, in between the existing studs.  (You'll also have to relocate the electrical boxes to the new studs)  Add a couple layers of the thick, 5/8" drywall, seal it up real good, mud, tape and paint.  

You'll only lose about 2" of space, instead of the 5-7" by building another wall.  And when you're done, aint no sound coming through that wall....

If this sounds like a lot of work (I know it is) you could also try resilient channels, or simply add another layer of drywall.  Assuming you have a 'typical' interior wall, anything you do will help some.

rinoa0587

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 10:26:32 PM »
thats sort of what I was thinking of doing except there is about a qarter of an inch between the wall I need to soundproof and my bedroom door. now if I do that to about 3/4 of the wall what could I do on the remaining part of the wall that has to be left alone because of the door. my dad suggested acoustic drapes but I doubt that will do anything. and with the MLV its so think I would still have to leave a strip right along the edge of the door bare so that the door can be opened. its sort of the same situation on his side of the wall so we can just do about the same 3/4 that we could do on my side. thanks so much for all this help. you've got my wheels turning and I think I've almost got a full solution. I just need to figure out what might work along the area right next to the door.

skip

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 03:54:19 PM »
If I understan your situation and the previous communications, here are some comments.

I concur with the previous suggestion that the proper solution is to talk over the problem with the parties involved. The 3 adults involved should be able to work out their differences and no one would have to spend $ dollars to treat a sound problem that is easily solved by adult decision making.

If you really spend the time and effort to sound proof 3/4 of a wall area and then use bandaid methods on the other 1/4 of the wall, you can expect minimal soundproofing results.

Pleae try and work out your diffences amoung yourselves before try to soundproof.