Author Topic: modular (read non-permanent) iso-booth  (Read 7539 times)

goldivox

modular (read non-permanent) iso-booth
« on: September 20, 2006, 11:57:18 PM »
Has anyone here constructed an iso/vo booth (must be able to be disassembled and moved) with STC exceeding 60? I am designing such a 'space' and would like any input from experience.

Thanx,
DW a.k.a. goldivox

johnbergstromslc

Re: modular (read non-permanent) iso-booth
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 05:30:57 PM »
That's a pretty tall order.  Probably not gonna find many resources here.

Try:  avforum.com

It's a little more specialized - might have better luck there.

hickory_stick

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 06:56:23 PM »
A print of a portable sound control booth is at
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/portable_sound_control_room.htm

avforum is mostly audio, cables, HDTV, etc.

Hick

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:21:44 PM »
A stand-alone booth with an STC of 60 is gonna be very hard to accomplish, unless you want to pack it full of lead/sand/concrete.  But that would nullify the portability aspect.  

goldivox

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 09:47:24 PM »
I suppose I shouldn't say portable, since, of course, you are right re: weight (though I don't believe sand and concrete will be necessary). I may use lead or MLV or both.

Let's just say, "not a permanent part of the existing structure". That is to say, not portable but transportable (once dissassembled). This will be a double walled modular structure. A "double floated" room.

I'm just not satisfied with the specs on the existing structures available for sale; especially at the high cost for a 25 to 30dB attenuation of enviro sound.... too little for too much. I believe I can design a more desirable "booth" for the same or less money which is virtually sound proof.

(Yes, I'm well aware of the physics which make this nearly impossible literally. However, by modularizing the mass - assuming I'm able to maintain air-tight seal - it seems to me less low frequency transfer would be acheived)

Some acoustician/engineer want to talk me out of this?

goldivox

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 12:47:33 AM »
Well if the partitions don't touch each other and you have some good insulation in between, you can get good airborne TL.  But I doubt you'll even get close to 60 - it takes 2 1/2 total inches of drywall and an airspace of 8 or more inches to get to that level in regular framing.

With the flanking noise from the floor (esp. a wood-framed floor) an STC 60 might be impossible to achieve, even with a truly "soundproof" booth.  

If you put this booth in an isolated, quiet room with good door seals, you might get 60, at least as measured from booth to adjacent room.

goldivox

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 09:19:13 AM »
Maybe, if ONLY gypsum and "standard" framing are used - but I'm not talking about only drywall. Furthermore, if the wood framed floor is properly braced, floated on an island of concrete slab and layered with the right materials; the flanking you mention will be negligible.

Eight inches of air space? Less than half that will be more than adequate to acheive STC over 60 - assuming the walls aren't "standard", of course ;).

I've acheived close to this in a previously built permanent installation with inferior materials and a mere 2 inches of airspace between framed walls.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 12:20:02 AM »
It sounds like you've already have a handle on the problem and are confident about the results, so why ask me (or anybody else)?  

Go for it, and good luck.

goldivox

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 10:36:08 PM »
Good question, John. Though I was curious to hear if anyone else was as "expletive deleted" as I when it came to "clean", or maybe I should say low noise floor recordings.

I am also curious about Green Glue as a component of my "sandwiched panels" - for the sake of modularity they will be no larger than 24 x 30" 3/4" MDF outer "bread" with MLV & or lead, Green Glue & gypsum "meat".

g.vox

joel

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 11:06:10 PM »
hi goldivox,

There's a portable isolation booth available from Super Soundproofing now.  Phone us and I can send you an attachment that shows what it looks like and gives sound specs.  This is a very professional model.

Joel

goldivox

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 08:22:12 AM »
Hey Joel,

could you email it to me?

Price?

Thanks,
DW a.k.a. goldivox

skip

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 08:10:30 PM »
Goldivox:

Regarding your question on Green Glue, yes Green Glue would be an added inprovement to your sound control equation. After the Green Glue has fully cured ( it can take up to 28 days to fully cure ) you will have an additional barrier to low frequency sound and resonance.