Author Topic: soundproofing a home workshop  (Read 4939 times)

gilipili

soundproofing a home workshop
« on: September 26, 2006, 06:49:33 PM »
hello. i am building a woodworking workshop in my house and i would like to soundproof a wall that is shared by this workshop and my wife's art studio (about 12 feet long by 9 feet high). i am planning to put up a double brick wall, about 5" thick each wall, with a seperation of about 4" between them to be filled with something. like what? mineral wool? sawdust? mortar? fiberboard? air? cheapest (other then air) is sawdust. i can build the two walls and stuff the sawdust in between and seal on top, but i am not sure is a good isolator.  thanks.

skip

Re: soundproofing a home workshop
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 07:00:53 PM »
You should look at a product called Ultra Touch by Bonded Logic. It is an excellent Sound Absorber.
It is made out of Flame Retardent Cotton Fibres.

Take a look at:/http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/natural_fiber.htm.

gilipili

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 12:25:22 AM »
thanks for the recommendation. how does it compare with sawdust? i am in mexico and have to improvise.

thanks.

agtrojan

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 04:01:47 PM »
There is no comparison.  The Acoustic Cotton Fiber insulation is fire retardant, mold resistant, AND it is a good sound absorber.  There is no data to compare the performance of sawdust.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 08:30:22 PM »
You're not gonna make a sale on this one, guys....

Sawdust will work as well.  It's not as good as cellulose, rockwool, fiberglass or cotton, but as long as you don't jam pack it in there, it's soft enough to absorb sound too.

It is, however, extrememly flammable.  I don't know about building codes in Mexico, but you may want to take that into account before burying it in the wall.

anything