Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Plexiglass From Home Depot with Magnetite any good  (Read 6410 times)

djdaveq

Plexiglass From Home Depot with Magnetite any good
« on: October 03, 2006, 03:32:09 PM »

i was thinking of using the inexpensive plexiglass sold at home depot i guess its about 1/4 thick for my bedroom car/engine noise issue.

i got a lot of freaks in my area of PA in the middle of the mountains who think its cool to have a car exhaust that makes alot of noise.  

anyway i was thinking of mabye using 1-3 layers of it, and using some sort of small rubber spacers at the corners to seperate the layers a much as possible (maybe 1/4-1/2 inch space). and then using the magneitie system to mount it, or just permently mount it to the inside of my window area.

Is ther any experts out there who think this will work? I am afriad of $$$ options cause i plan to sell this house and get out next year!

Thanks,
Dave

agtrojan

Re: Plexiglass From Home Depot with Magnetite any
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 07:41:30 PM »

If you choose to use the plexiglass then it would be better to use a 3/8" than the 1/4" and install it using the MagnetSeal L-bracket and magnetic tape.

Take a look at the following page for more details:

http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/magnetseal_windows.htm

An alternate, simpler, and maybe even better method is the use of a window plug.  It is a 2" closed cell foam material that is rated at 25 STC.  You're likely to experience a reduction of up to 75% of the noise entering through your window.

Click to get more info:

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/windowplug.htm

djdaveq

Re: Plexiglass From Home Depot with Magnetite any
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 05:22:54 AM »

I thank you for your suggestion. I guess i should say i have NO experience or info on this subject, this was my idea alone. I do want to do the cheapest but most efffective thing, i would love to have light still but i will sacrfice it if it means saving enough and or getting a better sound proffing.  So anyone please let me know whats best and where to get the goodies. Thanks.
Dave