Author Topic: Party Wall Need Help  (Read 4569 times)

jrand

Party Wall Need Help
« on: October 05, 2006, 08:05:29 PM »
I live in Town house and need help.  The walls are pretty thick, there does not seem to be an issue with normal sound traveling through the wall.  However, I Just bought a new system with a sub and the Bass seems to be going right through the wall.  

I would like to be able to enjoy system and not worry about neighbor.  There are two concerns.  My tv/ front speakers are facing out from the party wall.  His Living room is directly opposite the party wall and his headboard is opposite the wall one floor up.  (Hopefully that made sense)

So far, I moved sub away from wall to center of room and placed on several layers of carpet remnant.

After all that, my question... If I added sound curtains on the sides and behind my entertainment unit, ie on a good portion of, but not the entire wall, would it help or would it be a total waste of time if you can not do the entire wall?

Also will that help the bedroom situation which is one level up?  

If not some ideas please, ( and I know I could turn off the bass, but that is no fun  ;D  )

Thanks
Josh

johnbergstromslc

Re: Party Wall Need Help
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 09:28:51 PM »
Well, it's good that you're concerned about his peace and quiet.  There's lots of people with powerful noise-makers who simply don't give a sh*t, especially in this country.    

Sounds like you have a realistic view of the situation.  Unless you want to tear your walls/floors/ceilings apart and spend a lot of money, you're not gonna solve this problem.  The bass is too energetic and will penetrate even the thickest, most massive structures.  No 'magic curtain' exists for this problem.  (Most) anything you do will be a waste of time and money.

It's up to you to not be a pest.  Headphones are good.  Maybe only use the system when he/she is not home, or is at work.  

Gessho

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 02:15:13 AM »
Well, it's good that you're concerned about his peace and quiet.  There's lots of people with powerful noise-makers who simply don't give a sh*t, especially in this country.    

Sounds like you have a realistic view of the situation.  Unless you want to tear your walls/floors/ceilings apart and spend a lot of money, you're not gonna solve this problem.  The bass is too energetic and will penetrate even the thickest, most massive structures.  No 'magic curtain' exists for this problem.  (Most) anything you do will be a waste of time and money.

It's up to you to not be a pest.  Headphones are good.  Maybe only use the system when he/she is not home, or is at work.  

Will putting in an additional drywall with GreenGlue make any difference when it comes to bass from a stereo?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 09:39:39 PM »
It sure will.  You get both additional mass and vibration damping.  Check out their website for acoustical data:

thegreengluecompany.com

anything