Author Topic: comparing pro sound proofing for music room  (Read 4134 times)

rkts2002

comparing pro sound proofing for music room
« on: October 11, 2006, 05:10:33 AM »
Looking for some experienced/ pro input.  Building a permited open space room 20x24 on top of a free standing 2 car garage. Will be used for home gym and band practice room.  Im not trying to create a zero noise professional studio but just not annoy the neighbors. Cost is a consideration but not the only one.
Ideas:
Roxul Insulation, perhaps with double drywall. Anyone try that?
OR  Resiliant / hat channel using isolation clips and double drywall with Green Glue between?
OR Quiet Rock or Supress drywall.  
input?

johnbergstromslc

Re: comparing pro sound proofing for music room
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 01:38:54 AM »
Speaking for my biased self, I like your second option.  I've installed it that way and it works nicely.  Just remember to do all the walls and ceiling too.  Then you might have to do something about the windows - temporary plugs, maybe.

Don't know what Roxul insulation is, probably doesn't work worth squat.

As for Quietrock/Supress, avoid these like the plague.  If, as you said, "cost is a consideration", there's no more effective way to see your budget go bye-bye then to use those panels.  Stick with Green Glue - it rules.

rkts2002

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 03:52:29 AM »
If I dont want to go resilant channel route, how effective and cost effective would just putting MLV over studs and insulation and also under floor, then adding 2 layers of drywall with Green Glue between be? Any thoughts?
Is Sound Shark the same at MLV?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 10:06:30 PM »
Well, it would certainly help, but why do it that way?  For the same (or less) cost per sq.ft. as MLV, you can go the resilient channel 'route', and get much better results than the MLV alone.  Resilient mounting breaks the vibration MUCH more effectively than MLV.  

If the budget is worrying you, skip the Green Glue.  That should save you about 60 cents/sq. ft.  

P.S.: Sound Shark is not the same as MLV.  

anything