Author Topic: Ceiling Floor Assembly STC Condo/Retail  (Read 5622 times)

smitty26

Ceiling Floor Assembly STC Condo/Retail
« on: October 01, 2006, 03:52:09 AM »
I need help. I have a two story building built in 1901 and i am converting condos on the second floor and keeping retail shops on the first floor. I am trying to find a minimium rated assembly for my ceiling/floor type of STC 50 and IIC 50 but cannot.

I have 3/4" hardwood floor upstairs mounted on floor boards which sits on 2-3" x 12" douglas fir joists that are placed 12" on center. Yes, a beefy building!

I was thinking possibly of using 6.5" batt insulation, soundtrack and 5/8" sheetrock but cannot find a tested assembly for this with my joist types.

Any help here in finding a 50+ rated assembly for this floor system would be appreicated. The downstairs retail will also have a suspended ceiling. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Mike

johnbergstromslc

Re: Ceiling Floor Assembly STC Condo/Retail
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 10:34:23 PM »
An STC of 50 is not that hard to achieve, but even with resilient channels, an IIC of 50+ is gonna be tough.

I know it's more money, but you may want to consider framing up a 'false' ceiling in the space below.  Since you're only supporting the weight of drywall, you'd only have to use 2X6's, and with insulation and 2 layers of 5/8" drywall, sealed good, you could easily get STC 60+, IIC 60+.  

agtrojan

Re: Ceiling Floor Assembly STC Condo/Retail
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 04:48:35 PM »
Adding Green Glue in between the two layers of drywall will  further reduce the impact noise.

Take a look at the Green Glue info

http://www.greenglue.org

You can purchase the Green Glue directly on the www.soundproofing.org web site.

anything