Author Topic: Re: SoundProof Canopy Bed (variation on enclosure)  (Read 9238 times)

johnbergstromslc

Re: SoundProof Canopy Bed (variation on enclosure)
« on: February 05, 2002, 01:05:57 PM »
But why risk it?  If it were an application where it was being buried in the structure and wouldn't be uncovered for another 30-40 years, then no big deal.  But putting it in a curtain that is going to be moved frequently is probably not a good idea.  The lead would fatigue, fracture, flake off small pieces and eventually find it's way into the bedspread, carpet, god knows what else.  Then all bets are off.

Not worth the risk.  

MLV won't work as well, but it can't poison you and it's flexible, something you need for a movable curtain.

plenson

SoundProof Canopy Bed (variation on enclosure)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 02:50:19 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm a light sleeper who is disturbed by footsteps in the condo above. I was thinking whether the idea of an enclosed canopy bed using lead fabric for the sides, sound absorbing panels at the top. Depending on how I get it constructed it may not be that ugly and it would also be portable.  Would this work?

Cheers
Peter

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 03:15:29 AM »
Lead would be a big-time health hazard.  Try MLV.  Completely enclosing the bed might help with the noise, but it will limit your oxygen, too.  You might wake up with headaches from mild carbon dioxide poisoning and it would feel like you were sleeping in a box.  

plenson

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 03:36:06 AM »
Concerning oxygen:

I'd thought about that after posting, in addition, the enclosure could get hot. Some sheilded venting could put in the upper canopy and venting at the foot of the bed via a fan.

Concerning Lead Drapes:

I guess I just assumed that fibers where too heavy to suspend in the air... perhaps I'm wrong.

Cheers
Peter

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 04:04:25 AM »
Another common misconception: Lead is poisenous-  not  : only if you eat it!  It's metal and does not outgas anything.
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

joel

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 12:48:56 AM »
Hi plenson,

A lead lined fabric (like those used when you get an x-ray) sounds like what your talking about.  I wouldn't recommend that.  MLV is an option.  See info on types offered at http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm  There are also composit materials (MLV with fiberglass batting on each side) that are available with grommetts already installed for hanging.  This would be a much more environmentally healthy approach.  Pricing depends on size as these are custom made for each customer.  Phone the Tech line for a quote.
Joel

anything