Author Topic: Soundproofing an unfinished basement?  (Read 3793 times)

Oggie81

Soundproofing an unfinished basement?
« on: December 05, 2006, 06:01:02 PM »
Recently we moved our band equipment to our friends basement that is unfinished.  Brick walls with no installation whatsoever.  We're willing to spend money to soundproof it because in the longrun it'll be cheaper than renting a place to practice.  Any suggestions?  We're not trying to break the bank, but we're not trying to find a few hundred dollar fix either.  I'm guessing we could spend about $1000-$1500.

Skip

Re: Soundproofing an unfinished basement?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:56:48 PM »
Are you planning to build a room within the      basement room that now exists?

How does one enter the basement - staircase and/or outisde access?

New walls of 2x4's can be filled with sound absorbing material and then covered with a dense sound barrier material before final layers of dry wall to finish the job.

A solid door will be required to help keep sound from escaping.

Remember to vent new room so that you can breath while practicing.

Oggie81

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 03:34:47 PM »
The basement has a staircase that leads in.  I thought about building a room within a room, but the only problem is that the ceiling is really low to being with.  Also, how could I vent the room without letting any sound out?

Skip

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 08:47:52 PM »
Building a room within the room is a good idea. This will help isolate you from the staircase and its inherent sound problems. Suggest that you talk with a good HVAC individual, they have the means to vent the room and deal with sound.

anything