Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Soundproof windows, YES or NO?  (Read 9888 times)

gugy

Soundproof windows, YES or NO?
« on: December 07, 2006, 05:37:31 PM »

Ok, after reading all this posts I am still confused by the idea if the Soundproofwindows.com really work or not. I am planning to purchase them but I am very concern about doing so. It's a good chunk of money!

I had the gentleman from Bay Area Noise Control here at my house. He was very knowledgeable and nice guy but his cost to install and the windows is above $9k for 7 windows and one door. Is very high in my opinion since ordering direct from Soundproofwindows.com is $3k without installation. I can't justify paying almost $6k more just for the sake of installation.

I am very worried so I would love to have a sincere statement from you guys that have these windows at your home so I can make an educate decision about it.  
I read here that some you like it and others don't saying that it solved only 25% of the noise problem. If I am spending this money I would expect at least 75% or more noise reduction.

As few of you stated I also live close (60 feet) to a busy street with lots of traffic in the morning with cars and trucks.

Also I want to thank this forum. Very nice information. Cheers for the good work.  
All the best.

professorkev

Re: Soundproof windows, YES or NO?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »

I Just met with the Loewen window guy the other day.  They have the Tranquility soundproof like windows that were used for soundproofing from planes.  He told me it's overkill for what I need, whcih I thought, and we then talked about their triple pane windows with a 33 STC rating.  He explained they just did on place in Brooklyn and blocked out most of the street noise.

Do I believe the guy, yes!  good guy , straight forward and such and he had no reaosn to lie or anything.  He's been with Loewen for 15 years.  You should check them out.

As for soundproof.com?  I don't know their proiduct personally, but read about them.  I'd rather install nice looking new windows like the Loewen line before I install a soundproof.com window.  if that didn't work then I would call soundproof.com.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 02:11:58 AM »

Yes or No?  Then I definitely vote no.  

If you want to 'soundproof' your windows, you should keep what you have now and simply add a second set of double-glazed 'replacement' windows in the same opening.  This will give you the equivalent of 2 - 1/4" pieces of glass with a 2-4" airspace, and an STC of 45 or more.  

'Soundproof' windows are crap.  The glass isn't much thicker than regular windows and the frame isn't constructed of denser materials.  Mostly, these windows just have better seals.  Considering the claims these guys are making (and the prices they charge), you will be disappointed with the results.

Trust me, call a local window company and have them do a quality installation with much cheaper units.  It's the most cost effective way to quiet your windows.

professorkev

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 04:32:04 AM »

I second that motion :) :)

gugy

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 04:31:34 AM »

wow, I am surprised. :o
Like I said, I had the guy from Bay Area Noise Control and he highly recommended the Soundproofwindows.com. and he seemed very knowledgeable.
I'll double check your recommendations.
I am currently have Pella Impervia windows. They are double pane, but they do not cut any street noise significantly.
do you guys recommend any brand for double-glazed 'replacement' windows? or any company that would do it in San Diego, CA?
Thanks!

Ania

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »

I am also thinking about installing sound proof windows.  I would appreciate advice re which option is better (offers better noise elimination): (1) second set of laminated double pane glass in the existing window frame or (2) adding another frame with laminated double glass in the window cavity like soundproofwindows.com does?

kjburg

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 06:03:36 AM »

Okay, maybe not soundproofwindows, but how about www.airtitestormwindows.com?  I got a quote for an interior storm window with laminated glass for 1175 installed.  The window is 34" high, and 71" wide.  Soundproof window quoted about the same.  My shade could stay between the two windows and I'd get a nice big airgap.  I can't imagine adding another window would be much cheaper than that, wouldn't any of those solutions be about the same price/result wise?

Chris J

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »

Ive got the soundproofwindow.com product on 7 windows and the Mon-Ray laminated interior window on 4 others. They all work and cut down on street noise(our problem). They are not perfect however, you will not completely eliminate the noise. They have however made our house MUCH more pleasant and despite the high price I can't imagine living here without them. Those who claim these windows don't work either have issues with the walls or the windows were installed incorrectly, that simple.

MorroSteve

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 01:51:02 PM »

First of all please support super soundproofing for providing this forum.

I've installed 10 windows from soundproofwindows.com. They perform pretty much as specified.  We live on a busy street and on a hill and wanted to control the traffic noise. The good news is that the sound of the cars driving on the road (i.e. tire noise) is virtually eliminated.  The bad news is that the sound of a muffler on a pickup is still pretty obvious.  I'm pretty sure I'm getting the claimed 20 db sound reduction (this is what is claimed at the low frequencies) but this this is not enough to reduce the noise below the level of a moderate TV sound inside the house. This is partially due to the number of older pickup trucks with marginal mufflers in our area, but also applies to newer diesel trucks climbing a hill.

Cost of the windows average around $650 including shipping.  Nominal 30" x 60".  I installed myself without too much trouble.  Note that it is important to seal the existing window to remain as much as possible.