Author Topic: Need clarification on generator box  (Read 4582 times)

vince23

Need clarification on generator box
« on: December 11, 2006, 11:01:02 PM »
Hello,

I just bought a 2500 watt generator to power my remote cabin. I wanted to clarify the info presented on: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

-Would a 67 decibel generator require a double or triple box?
- Does the double or triple box get the foam on the inside or outside?
- Can this box be done without using a car muffler, if so and the foam is on the inside, can it withstand the heat from the waste gas if exhaust is not routed to the outside?
- If the car muffler is hooked up, does it need to be outside the box because of heat?
- Does wrapping the muffler with header tape help the way it does the exhaust pipes?

I know that putting a bigger muffler increases back pressure, but this should only reduce the horsepower by a small percentage. Let me know if that's not accurate.
Thanks in advance for any replies!

joel

Re: Need clarification on generator box
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 11:28:00 PM »
Hi vince 23,
To answer your questions in order
-A 67 dB generator would require a double box - one inside the other.
-The foam goes on the inside faces of the boxes.
-It can be done without using a car muffler - the SSP Mat is good to 220 degrees.
Give enough space between the boxes to allow sufficient airflow and use minimum 1" thick SSP Mat - thicker if you can.
Joel

vince23

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 03:50:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
So I don't need to route the exhaust outside and is 220 degrees is high enough to handle this?

joel

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 06:27:23 PM »
Hi vince23,
It's best to route the exhaust outside.  Corbon monoxide poisoning is always possible if you don't.  The Super Soundproofing Mat is good to 220 degrees but you probably should consider it safest to have a continuous operating temperature of 180 degrees.  Take some temperature readings near the generator to check how hot it runs when warmed up.
Joel