Author Topic: Soundproofing a ceiling  (Read 3002 times)

Nicholas Rowlands

Soundproofing a ceiling
« on: April 16, 2001, 02:12:24 AM »
My upstairs neighbour makes a lot of noise in the middle of the night.  Perhaps he doesn't need sleep, but I do!  I have room to lower my ceiling by 15inches.  I don't care about the cost I just want to eliminate as much noise as possible.
The internal walls are constructed of brick.  I don't want to attach the soundproofing to the existing ceiling because I assume that will transmit a lot of noise.  Is it best to build a lowered ceiling that is supported by the walls?  If so, how can I construct such a ceiling?  
Is it better to have as much dead air space between the two ceilings as possible or should some or all of the dead air space be filled with some kind of sound insulation?
Please help!

bjnash

Re: Soundproofing a ceiling
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2001, 03:27:36 AM »
: My upstairs neighbour makes a lot of noise in the middle of the night.  Perhaps he doesn't need sleep, but I do!  I have room to lower my ceiling by 15inches.  I don't care about the cost I just want to eliminate as much noise as possible.
: The internal walls are constructed of brick.  I don't want to attach the soundproofing to the existing ceiling because I assume that will transmit a lot of noise.  Is it best to build a lowered ceiling that is supported by the walls?  If so, how can I construct such a ceiling?  
: Is it better to have as much dead air space between the two ceilings as possible or should some or all of the dead air space be filled with some kind of sound insulation?
: Please help!
The proper way to do this is to remove the ceiling and build a new, false ceiling located down as much as practical, supported on the walls.  Dead air works well, filling would only add to the thermal insulation qualities.  See the link for options to attain high levels of soundproofing.

anything