Author Topic: Attaching RC-2  (Read 4024 times)

DAWGFAN

Attaching RC-2
« on: December 27, 2006, 01:16:38 AM »
Hello,

I've purchased RC-2 to place on my unfinished ceiling.  RC-2 has pre-perforated holes for attaching to the ceiling framing.

What do you recommend using to attach the RC-2 to the framing.  I have plenty of drywall screws and decking screws, but they have tapered heads.  Would this be sufficient?  I'm worried that the tapered head would not hold the metal to the frame sufficiently.  Simple flat-head wood screws are hard to find.  They make something called a lath screw that may work...used for attaching metal mesh to wood or metal.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

John

johnbergstromslc

Re: Attaching RC-2
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 11:14:08 PM »
Drywall screws are plenty strong enough to hang channel.  Use 2" long, at least. 

A piece of drywall really doesn't need the strength of 20 or 30 screws to hold it up - usually 2 or 3 screws (placed strategically) can hold up  the whole sheet.  However, to keep the board flat to the ceiling, they need to be placed every 8"-12".

If you space your channel 24" o.c. and hang it with 2 screws per joist, you'll have an average of 24 screws/sheet.  More than enough.

Then hang your drywall on the channel using 1" - 1.25" screws, short enough that you can't screw into a joist and 'short circuit' your work.     

DAWGFAN

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 03:07:58 AM »
thanks for the information on the screws.

I planned on placing the RC-2 on 24" centers, however, I read somewhere that if my ceiling joists are on 24" centers, then I should place the RC-2 on 16" centers.  My ceiling joists are irregularly placed...some spaced at 16", most at 20", then a few at 24".  Do you think its safe to go with 24" oc, or would you recommend something in between...20" maybe?

I checked with my county for the code requirements...they had no recommendation.

thanks,

John

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 10:38:13 PM »
Well, you want to space at an even factor of 48" or 96", so your drywall will line up.  I believe the best performance comes from studs/joists 24" o.c. and channel 24" o.c.  Go with 24" - less metal to transfer vibration.