Author Topic: soundproofing studio in my house  (Read 3909 times)

joeyyoungman

soundproofing studio in my house
« on: December 20, 2006, 10:05:34 PM »
new to this forum so maybe this question has been posted before, if so, sorry.
here's the situation:

I just bought a house -- 2 story, and I am the only person who will be living in it.   The studio will be in the master bedroom upstairs -- and the closest neighbors are approx 50ft away.  I am convinced that the current walls are not going to be enough to prevent the bass from reaching these neighbors (the house was built in 2003 for whatever that's worth).

Soooo, . . . after 1 brief discussion with 1 tech support guy, I am under the impression that I should install 2 layers of drywall, separated by Green Glue, IN FRONT OF THE EXISTING WALL.  I am also under the impression that it isn't really important to do this to the roof, (as there's nobody above me), or the floor (as there's nobody below me).

Am I on the right track?  if not, what would you recommend?

And my follow-up to this is:   I completely suck at this kind of stuff, so I would need professional help.  Would I contact some sort of drywall contractor and tell them what I am trying to do?  Is it really as simple as just putting in a couple more sheets of drywall -- or are they going to have to tear out carpet and do other crazy stuff to accomplish this?  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a full-service soundproofing expert in the city of Austin so it looks like i am going to have to coordinate this shenanigan myself (and hopefully get some helpful info from you fine people).

I guess that's it for now -- sorry so many questions.

MANY THANKS TO ANYBODY WHO MAKES IT THROUGH THAT WHOLE THING AND RESPONDS!!!! :)

Skip

Re: soundproofing studio in my house
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 10:24:09 PM »
The sounds that you will be making will be much like those of a child blowing soap bubbles. The sound is going to go in all directions. You could try sound proofing  your walls first and see what the results are for your neighbors. If they can still hear your sound/noise, then you might try soundproofing the ceiling and floor areas.

Do you have exposed stud walls or are your walls already covered with dry wall? This will determine what sound reduction approaches are availabel to you.

joeyyoungman

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 10:35:40 PM »
the walls are already finished with drywall and painted.  the floor has full carpet in it.  that's why I was looking for the easiest option (i.e. without tearing out carpet or tearing down the walls).  To be honest, my main thing here is the complexity and severity of the job - i want it to be relatively simple and non-invasive.  The money is less of an issue. 

Thanks for the reply.  Any other advice you have is most appreciated.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 11:10:29 PM »
'Simple and non-invasive' aren't gonna get you very good results.  For the kind of decibels you're gonna be making, you need some serious structural mods.  Not sure whether you're trying to keep the noise in or keep it out, but it really makes no difference.

If I were doing this job, I'd convert your regular walls into staggered stud and hang 2 layers of 5/8" drywall (with or without Green Glue - it's up to you).  Hang the ceiling on isolation clips + hat channels, also with 2 layers of drywall and also do something about the floor - some kind of floating, massive layer (2 layers of OSB/plywood screwed together would work) on top of a resilient pad.  Make some kind of plug for the window or get a second set of storm or replacement windows installed.  Then top it off with a solid-core door and perimeter seals and you're good to go. 

joel

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 11:47:09 PM »
hi joeyyoungman,
Yes, it really is that simple when you use Green Glue.  This material is especially effective at blocking bass frequencies!  And it is also correct that multiple layers is better.  You may want to consider using one layer Green Glue and drywall to the existing ceilining to insure that there is no flanking noise from wall to ceiling area.  When you purchase Green Glue from us we include a simple, three page installation guide for using it!  You can do it! (and so can a production hungry, gofast drywaller). 
Joel