Author Topic: green glue and textured wall  (Read 3669 times)

hg

green glue and textured wall
« on: December 23, 2006, 04:50:50 AM »
I just had my apartment renovated (I own the building) and I have lots of noise problems. Especially since I want to use the apartment as a psychotherapy office.

First impact noise from pergo and tile floors upstairs.  My contractor said he installed sound blocking padding and sheet rock.  Didn't work. 

Then there is sound of voices between rooms.  He installed 5/8" dry wall and even some insulation but the noise is bad.  I am trying to decide what to do next.

For the walls: I was thinking of a second layer of 5/8" sheetrock with green glue, but he put some texturing on the walls before he painted.  Will green glue still work?

For the ceiling: The contractor is thinking of putting a second ceiling with resilient channels under the first in one room and attaching to the joists with long screws.  Would this work?

johnbergstromslc

Re: green glue and textured wall
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 08:45:51 PM »
No, Green Glue has to be applied to 2 flat surfaces.  Maybe your contractor could do a 'skim coat' and sanding with drywall mud and make them a lot flatter than they are now.

If you end up tearing off the walls, I'd suggest adding resilient channel there too, or converting them into staggered stud or double walls.  You'll have to judge how much floor space you can afford to lose. 

On your plan for the ceiling:  I wouldn't do it that way.  You won't get much better performance than you get now.  Be sure to tear off the old drywall, insulate the ENTIRE cavity (with R-30 or R-38, not just R-13) and install 2 layers of 5/8" drywall on hat channel + isolation clips.  Be sure to do some good edge/gap/penetration sealing, both before insulating ('leaky' sound areas in their floor) and after you've got all the drywall installed.  Also, seal the holes and gaps in any electrical boxes and don't use recessed lighting - it will nullify any efforts you make. 

hg

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 09:01:36 PM »
Thanks 

I'll tell my contractor.

hg

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 09:15:41 PM »
Hi again,

I'm not clear about the edge/gap/penetration sealing.  Also, if he tears down the wall would I still use green glue or only insulation and resilient channels?

Helene

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 10:37:38 PM »
If you have resilient channels on the walls, staggered stud/double walls, then whether or not you use Green Glue is up to you.  Resilient channel can potentially raise your 'ordinary' wall from a 33 to 49 STC.  Staggered studs - 55 STC and double studs 63 STC.  Adding Green Glue might add 4-5 points to these values, but a 55 or 63 STC wall is pretty damn quiet by itself!