Author Topic: Need advice: Would like to double up on my windows in my bedroom.  (Read 4062 times)

wav3form

I just had some old windows removed from my bedroom.  They're standard pella double glazed replacement windows and were an improvement over the 50 year old wooden junk I had.  However, since the front of my house has a fairly busy residential street, there's always plenty of loud pickups and other traffic driving by during the day.  I read about installing a second set of windows in front of the windows and this should help.  I like that idea but how do you secure them?  How do you trim around them since now they stick out from the wall?  If anyone has done this, can you please give me some tips on doing this?  Thanks!

johnbergstromslc

Re: Need advice: Would like to double up on my windows in my bedroom.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 08:59:49 PM »
If your window sill is not wide enough to install a second set of windows, a better option is to make a plug.  You still want light, I'm sure, so get a piece of 1/2" plexiglas (about $250 for a 4' X 8' sheet) and cut it to fit.  Leave enough of a gap so you can attach a weatherstrip gasket and get a nice tight seal for the opening. 

wav3form

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 05:32:26 AM »
Oh there's definately enough room, i'm just trying to figure out how to do the finishing work/trim.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 09:13:19 PM »
Well, it's up to you, but if your windows will be 'sticking out' further than the wall surface, I'd say your sills aren't wide enough.   

wav3form

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 10:10:13 PM »
Well, it's up to you, but if your windows will be 'sticking out' further than the wall surface, I'd say your sills aren't wide enough.   

Yah I see what you mean, i'd have to build out the walls to make the additional window flush.  I guess it's back to finding another solution or moving to a quieter area.  :(

joel

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 11:37:11 PM »
There is a link which discusses "options in sound control through windows" at http://www.soundproofing.org/options_sound_control_for_windows.htm  One of the best (and most economical) solutions for all types of windows is the "magnetseal" system shown at http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/magnetseal_windows.htm  Use the 3/8" clear acrylic for maximum results (no need to go thicker). 
Joel

anything